[Vision2020] Sen Schroeder

g. crabtree jampot at roadrunner.com
Wed Feb 18 07:13:45 PST 2009

"It doesn't seem as productive or sustainable putting more faith on service
or retail jobs than on value added ones, such as farming, seemingly a better
use of resources. The reason water isn't used to irrigate farm land around
here is because water is perceived to be limited."

Assuming limitless amounts of low cost water, what irrigation dependant crop
do you imagine might be raised that would provide the number of jobs and
regional income that a retail operation such as Hawkins will provide? Seeing
as one farmer and perhaps two or three hired hands can easily manage acreage
many times larger then the amount of land encompassed by the new shopping
center, I'm at a loss as to what miracle crop you might have in mind.