[Vision2020] words and actions (Testosterone Reality Check)

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 1 10:14:14 PST 2009

Joe Campbell wrote:
> Paul,
>
> To what extent do liberals have to support "diversity"? To the extent
> of racism? Do you think the acceptability of slavery is an idea I have
> to sustain in order to remain a true liberal? I don't.

Liberals supporting diversity is an observation, not a commandment.
It's a stereotype.  Besides, there is a difference between having to
agree with an idea and accepting it as a valid viewpoint.  I haven't
seen Gary subscribing to any views that are as rock-solid racist as what
you describe.  If I'm remembering correctly, he's complaining that you
can't adequately criticize a black President or a star black athlete
because you will automatically be assumed to be a racist.  I think,
unfortunately, that he has a point.

> Maybe I'm commited to the view that people have the right to say
> whatever they want but that includes my right to say when they've gone
> too far. All you have to do is look at the subject lines of No
> Weatherman's posts in November and October. I think that that went too
> far and if you don't please come by Tursday and explain to me why not.

You do have the right to say what you wish, and so does he.  I'm not
claiming anything different, and I wouldn't have the authority to
anyway.  I've conversed with No Weatherman, civilly, about a few of
those topics.  You run into the same question.  If someone vehemently
detests a particular person of color, does that necessarily make them a
racist?  It might be a symptom of an underlying feeling of racism, but
it might also be a coincidence.  Only Gary or No Weatherman could know
for sure, and they might be unaware of it themselves.

I grew up far more racist than I like to admit.  I always fought against
overt racism, but that didn't change my inherent prejudices until my
world expanded and I had occasion to interact with more people outside
of my race and cultural background.  The way to fight racism is to mix
culturally.  Handing out fliers in a public arena in an attempt to
expose a person's prejudices is likely not to work and will probably
back-fire on you.

> Again the issue isn't whether one has a right to say such things. I
> won't be denying that. But whether the comments in question are
> racist. I think they are Crabtree thinks they are not. I'm going to
> try to show that he us wrong.

So let's say, just for the sake of argument, that Gary is a
card-carrying Racist.  Is exposing him in public really the correct way
to help him?  Does it do anything at all helpful for him, or is it just
to make you feel like you've won a point?

> How am I failing according to your standards of what it is to be a
> liberal?

If anything, you're failing my standards of what it is to be polite.
Harassing passers-by in order to make a point in public is not polite,
nor is trying to publicly expose some you think is racist.

Who am I, anyway?  Do as you like.  I just disagree with it.

Paul