[Vision2020] words and actions (Testosterone Reality Check)

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 12:24:50 PST 2009

There is so much confusion here, Paul, it is hard to know where to
begin. I'll just make a few points.

I never said Crabtree was a racist. In fact, I don't think he is one.
I said No Weatherman's commments, specifically his subject headings,
are racist. Crabtree disagrees and maybe you do too. What better way
to settle the issue than to show people the words and ask their
opinions? Bring the debate into the light of day, so to speak.

Second I'm not trying to humiliate Crabtree. That won't happen. That
is some misconception you have based on a misconception of me, no doubt.

Here is the thing. I believe that Crabtree knows full well that the
subject lines are racist. That's why he won't show or if he does he'll
try to change the subject to freedom of speech or something like that.
The real racists won't show and if they do they'll be wearing hoods.

Just having Crabtree read the content of the flyer in a public venue,
or having him listen to it being read and try to defend those words
out in the open, will better drive home my side of the dabate than
anything I can say here. Or so I believe.

I concede some drawbacks with the plan (expressed by you and Sunil)
but I think that they might be overcome if we're careful not to
harrass anyone. If no one wants to participate that's just the way it
is. I'm not going to push it. If Crabtree doesn't show I'm not going
to give a single flyer to anyone unless they ask for one.

Of course you've had civil discussions with No Weatherman. Take a look
in the mirror and you'll see why. Maybe his incivility toward others -
Muslims, gays, women, blacks, liberals - doesn't bother you but it
bothers me.

Joe Campbell