[Vision2020] Who said . . .

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 16:48:26 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 16:07, Carl Westberg <idahovandal1 at live.com> wrote:

> Well, all I know is if "doing well in school is perceived as a feminine
> trait", as quoted in an  earlier post, and judging by my academic track
> record, I'm as macho as a guy can possibly be.   Carl Westberg Jr.

To a lot of insecure males, especially young, insecure males, doing
well in school is indeed equated with a lack of masculinity.  Youngish
men are frequently desperate to be "one of the boys."  In the UK, it
is called "laddishness," but it is just as common here.

Laddish: Like a stereotypical jack the lad: boorish, reckless,
inclined to binge drinking, etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lad_culture

If you are tough and cool, you aren't an egghead.  So you stay out
partying instead of staying home and studying, etc.