[Vision2020] First Step Internet expansion

Mike Hall mikech at fsr.com
Tue Apr 7 15:51:35 PDT 2009

Vision 20/20,

I wanted to let you know about the following news item.

Sincerely,

Mike Hall
Area Sales Manager
First Step Internet
888-676-6377 Ext. 540
208-882-8869
http://www.fsr.com<http://www.fsr.com/>
mikech at fsr.com<mailto:mikech at fsr.com>

First Step Internet of Moscow, Idaho announced today that they are acquiring the wireless network and operation of CompuNet of Grangeville, Idaho.  First Step Internet will operate and expand ConnectWireless in Grangeville, Cottonwood, Craigmont, Winchester, Nezperce, and Kamiah.  Nolan Schoo of CompuNet built and operated ConnectWireless since 2002 and is enthusiastic about what he describes as a "great opportunity to expand the level of bandwidth and services available to home, business, school, government, and hospital customers throughout the region."  "We service many of the computer networks in the region and our clients have a need for additional bandwidth.  First Step Internet is a quality Company uniquely positioned to expand this network, bring in the additional bandwidth and continue to increase the connectivity options throughout the region."

First Step Internet was recently awarded a Community Connect grant from the Rural Utilities Service to bring broadband Internet service to Ferdinand, Idaho.  They will be installing a 100mbps Internet backbone to the region as part of that project.  Kevin Owen, CEO of First Step Internet states, "We are excited about the opportunity to expand to the Camas Prairie and knew that Nolan Schoo was the right partner for the job.  This is our third acquisition in the last ten years.  With this addition to our network, we look forward to providing the needed services that will further expand economic growth and enhance the quality of life on the prairie."

Christine Frei of the Clearwater Economic Development Association (CEDA) was a strategic partner in the RUS grant application.  Since 2004, CEDA has been working on promoting the expanded broadband service.  "This expansion is a great step toward meeting the design of Phase I and II of the North Central Idaho Telecommunication Plan.", Christine said.  "We trust that First Step Internet will continue to expand these much needed services that are critical to economic development."

Company data:

First Step Internet has been building networks since 1989 and now has high speed wireless service available in over 33 towns and cities, over 600 miles of point to point microwave links, and over 3000 square miles of network coverage.  In addition they also provide dial up, DSL and fiber Internet access throughout Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho.  Clients include the University of Idaho, WSU Housing, Gritman Medical Clinic, Pullman Regional Hospital, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, City of Moscow, Latah County and the Moscow, Genesee, & Potlatch School Districts.

CompuNet has been providing superior installation of customer computer network solutions since 1998 in addition to the internet service.  CompuNet will continue to deploy solutions from such manufactures as Cisco, Dell, EMC, and VMWare.  CompuNet employs 45 employees in Idaho, Utah, and Montana.  Some Central Idaho customers include Potlatch, LCSC, Valley Medical, Lewiston Morning Tribune, Idaho Forest Group, Syringa Hospital, St. Mary's and Clearwater Valley Hospitals.