[Vision2020] National Service?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Apr 7 08:19:03 PDT 2009

To a degree I agree with you, Bear.

Along with benefits comes responsibility, obligation, and accountability.

Too often people are willing to accept the benefits without any concern
for their neighbors.

As much as I would like to see everybody walk that extra mile, I simply do
not feel it should be required.

True loyalty and commitment is reflected in the manner in which a person
responds to the simple question "Why are you here?"  To those who
respond, "Because I was told to" I have no faith.  To those who
respond, "Because I want to" I owe my gratitude.

> Tom,
>
> I've read the Bill, and it's not a bad idea, but it doesn't go far
enough. Everyone in
> America
> today runs around talking about "rights", but with every right, there
is, or should be a
> "responsibility". Where is the responsibility to the nation for most of
America today?

> I'm in favor of national service, and especially in hard economic times,
it makes sense.
> What is
> wrong with requiring some kind of national service? It doesn't have to
be in the military,

> but
> there are many many ways it could be accomplished, and there would have
to be some type of

> non-discrimination clause in it, and what I mean by that is "everyone"
goes. No exemptions

> of
> any kind to include gender, religion,race or orientation.
>
> There could be a national construction organization, national health,
national
> administration,
> national education and of course the military. In other words, no more
free rides. The
> universities and civil service at all levels would no longer be staffed
by people that
> have a
> secure niche that they settled into while others were out serving their
nation in one way
> or
> another. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't be
involved in foreign
> service in
> support of national policies. We are spending hundreds of thousands of
dollar right now
> for
> everything from electricians to police officers, to cooks,  for
contractors overseas.
> These
> positions could be filled by national service personnel.
>
> I was really amazed when I actually looked at the backgrounds of people
getting the "good

> jobs" in government, and what their "service" backgrounds are. Take a
look at the Board of

> Education/Regents, how many served? And if you think that number is low,
take a look at
> both
> the faculty and higher administrators at the University!  From what I've
seen, non of the

> > "I believe that there is a very strong chance that we will see that
young
> > people will be put into mandatory service. And the real concern is
that
> > there are provisions for what I would call re-education camps for
young
> > people..."
> >
> > - Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-Minn), on the Edward M. Kennedy Serve
America