[Vision2020] National Service?

bear at moscow.com bear at moscow.com
Tue Apr 7 08:06:00 PDT 2009

Tom,

I've read the Bill, and it's not a bad idea, but it doesn't go far enough. Everyone in
America
today runs around talking about "rights", but with every right, there is, or should be a
"responsibility". Where is the responsibility to the nation for most of America today?

I'm in favor of national service, and especially in hard economic times, it makes sense.
What is
wrong with requiring some kind of national service? It doesn't have to be in the military,
but
there are many many ways it could be accomplished, and there would have to be some type of

non-discrimination clause in it, and what I mean by that is "everyone" goes. No exemptions
of
any kind to include gender, religion,race or orientation.

There could be a national construction organization, national health, national
administration,
national education and of course the military. In other words, no more free rides. The
universities and civil service at all levels would no longer be staffed by people that
have a
secure niche that they settled into while others were out serving their nation in one way
or
another. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't be involved in foreign
service in
support of national policies. We are spending hundreds of thousands of dollar right now
for
everything from electricians to police officers, to cooks,  for contractors overseas.
These
positions could be filled by national service personnel.

I was really amazed when I actually looked at the backgrounds of people getting the "good
jobs" in government, and what their "service" backgrounds are. Take a look at the Board of

Education/Regents, how many served? And if you think that number is low, take a look at
both
the faculty and higher administrators at the University!  From what I've seen, non of the
candidates for the presidents job at the University are veterans or have they done any
type of
national service, but it's not a suprise because the people selecting them for those
position
haven't served either!

Comments?