[Vision2020] Palin and library books

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 9 19:42:14 PDT 2008

I wrote:

"Also, your above recounting of events is quite a bit different than all the
accounts I've read, so please cite your source."

Do you have some deeply-held aversion to providing cites requested of you?
Don't you want us to be able to critically evaluate the veracity of your
sources and statements?  Or, do you expect us to just take your word for it?
Not too likely  J

As for the rest of your screed, LOL - what's the matter, Jeff:  are you
upset that I'm focusing on the issues rather than on the personalities the
spin docs think will win this election?

Guess what?  You don't get to tell the rest of us what issues are - or
should be - important in evaluating the fitness of any candidate.  Good try,
though  J  I can't blame you for giving it a shot when you clearly recognize
that's the only rational approach available to you.  You're enchanted with
Palin's personality - bully for you.  I prefer to choose my candidates based
on the issues.  And, that's the flaw as I see it with the Republican spin
docs' strategy:  they're selling the American people short if they think
they can substitute fluff for facts for too long, post-RNC bounce
notwithstanding.  But, only time will tell  J

Jeff Harkins wrote:

"It seems ever more clear to me that you would go to almost any length to
discredit Gov. Palin. . . to engage in the kind of destructive dialogue that
you are pandering on this engaging and successful candidate . . . "

LOL - and it seems crystal clear to me that you can't handle the heat of
Palin being examined on the issues rather than on her personality or her
ability to deliver basically the same carefully scripted speech over and
over and over again.

Actually, I find it quite telling that you trot out your vitriol when I
bring up issues you know the American people are going to have concerns
about with Palin and that tarnish the imaginary persona you sooo desperately
want us to buy.

Fact:  Palin has an interest in censorship I find repugnant.  You can try to
spin the multiple discussions initiated by Palin on book banning until you
make yourself dizzy, but you're not going to change the minds of people like
me who believe that censorship is wrong.

Fact:  Palin is campaigning at least partly on a claim for small government
and fiscal conservatism, claims her record don't support.  I don't need any
"investigation" to tell me that just because you can get away with taking
money from the taxpayers' pockets for living in your own home and for taking
your family on "official" trips cum vacations doesn't mean that you should
do it.  That's not what fiscal conservatism means to me or to millions of
other average Americans.

Fact:  while mayor, Palin supported the policy of charging rape victims for
the evidence collection costs of forensics exams, a policy peculiar to
Wasilla necessitating statewide legislation to prevent this travesty.  That
matters to me . . . it matters a whole lot.

Fact:  Palin's environmental record is completely unacceptable to people
like me who value the environment in its own right rather than solely as a
means to the end of lining pockets.  "Drill, baby, drill" isn't a smart
mantra for an administration that's got a pathetic record of handling the
existing problems.  More accurate and appropriate would the mantra of
Alaska's own environmentalists' description of Palin's environmental
policies:  "Cut, kill, dig, and drill."  But, I guess that wouldn't get her
too many of those swing votes she was brought to the ticket to provide!

Fact:  Palin continues to tell the tall tale about how she sold the state
jet on eBay, a claim that's been factually proven to be false.  Why does she
continue to be dishonest?  Most of us care about honesty and don't want to
vote for a candidate we know from the get-go is less that truthful and will
change facts just to make the story sell better.

I could go on and on and on about the issues rather than the personalities,
but I really don't want you to whip yourself into a frothy frenzy again.

Jeff Harkins also suggested:

"try picking an issue - say economic development and see how she has
performed as a Mayor and a Governor in that realm"

Well, since she's a VP candidate, I'm a lot more concerned about her
economic illiteracy as evidenced by her Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
commentary <shaking my head> yesterday.  Palin is clearly scarily clueless
about some pretty important economic issues facing this country.

And, you know as well as I, Jeff, that there are plenty of good people in
Alaska who pretty compellingly make the case that some of Palin's "economic
development" ideas didn't quite work out for her and others succeeded only
at making the rich get richer at great cost to  the environment.  Indeed, I
think a valid statement is that Palin's economic development history
seemingly puts her at odds with McCain's pledge to end special interests.

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2008 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****