[Vision2020] Palin Slashed Funding for Teen Moms

Glenn Schwaller vpschwaller at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 14:07:47 PDT 2008

Well perhaps if anyone had bothered to take a bit of a closer look at the
situation and weigh both sides of the story (now there's a novel idea . . .)
you would see it tends to be a tad bit different.

The funding in question was part of a facilities expansion (new building
construction, NOT operational funding) Federal Grant to the Covenant House,
a private organization whose "sole purpose is to be of value to this
community by remaining open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for kids in
crisis", and was more than 3 times the amount received in 2006 ($1,194,788)
from Federal sources.
 (http://www.guidestar.org/pqShowGsReport.do?partner=justgive&npoId=332976

Please note that with resepct to operational funding (food, clothing,
counseling, schooling, job searching etc)  "Approximately 90% of our
(Covenant House) funding comes from the generous donations of friends like
you"
(http://covenanthouseak.org/about.htm).

Seems like the kids in question might be a bit more crowded (I guess a
"shortfall" of 1.1 mil may mean buddying up in a room) but even so it falls
far short of  "damage to other young women, unmarried and pregnant", and
certainly does not seem to indicate any lack of  "common sense or
compassion'"  once the total picture is seen.

All in all this seems to be a fairly health shot in the financial arm since,
according to the State of Alaska SB231 (
http://www.gov.state.ak.us/omb/07_OMB/SB231bill.pdf) Covenant House was to
receive only $155,000 in 2007.

What a monsterous sociopath is this unknown Govenor Palin!!

Keep swinging Mix and Hansen - I wouldn't expect any less of you.

GS