[Vision2020] If the shoe was on the other foot (was A Plea to Saundra Lund)

Glenn Schwaller vpschwaller at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 17:51:58 PDT 2008

Mr Rumelhart,

As far as I can tell all of these "lost civil liberties" you cite
pertain to a small group housed in Guantanamo who have been, perhaps
in some instances, falsely accused of being or supporting terrorists.
I think the largest number of inmates held there was around 700 or so
and giving 50 percent of them the benefit of the doubt, 350 were
"unjustly detained and suffered from an "erosion of (their) civil
liberties".  I am much more worried about the loss of civil liberties
which will ultimately affect over 300 million with unprecedented
assaults on our 1st and 2nd amendment rights, just for starters.  This
I believe will be but a springboard to the damage this man will
inflict.  So in this argument, you fail.

Both Obama and his running mate, Sen. Joe Biden, have indicated that
an Obama administration would use its control of the Justice
Department to prosecute its political opponents.  James Walsh of the
Justice Department's Civil Rights Section has stated that there will
be a push, under the Obama administration, for criminal prosecution
against those they ANTICIPATE (my caps) will engage in voter
"intimidation" or "oppression" in an election involving a black
candidate. And the list goes on.

Yes I pay taxes - and I have no problem doing so with the expectation
they will be used to defend my country, provide a decent K-12
education, maintain our highways, federal parks and forests, provide
police and fire protection and emergency service and the list goes on.
 And I further expect EVERYONE to contribute to this fairly, by the
use of a flat tax levied on EVERYONE (pardon my naivete).  As one
example, I do NOT support giving 25 cents much less a maximum of $250
in "excess tax" (as Chuck Pezeshki enumerates) to anyone who lacks the
ambition to even attempt to provide for him or herself.  If I choose
to donate to a charity to provide for these individuals, let it be
exactly that:  MY choice.  Anything less than that is most definitely
an "erosion of (my) civil liberties" and any freethinking individual
will not stand for that.

GS