[Vision2020] Questions for No. Weatherman

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 17:31:10 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 16:45, No Weatherman <no.weatherman at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I believe the onus is on you to explain Obama's unique
> relationship with Wright.

> That's the point I'd like to exhaust.

Unique relationship?  Tens of thousands of pastors have had, or have,
similar relationships with congregants.  There is nothing "unique" to
explore, let alone exhaust.

I was a Christian for a long time, and I went to church for a long
time.  I understand what motivates people to attend, and it isn't
always the reason or reasons that they would profess.  Some do it
because they are lonely.  Some do it because they believe they have to
or they will burn in hell.  Some do it out of habit.  Some do it
because they can't bear the disapproval of friends or family who
attend for reasons of their own.  Some do it because church can be an
important center of social interactivity.  Some do it to rub elbows
with the upwardly-mobile.  Some do it because they are publicly minded
and know that there are plenty of opportunities to involve themselves
in charitable works at most churches.  Some do it to advance their
political aspirations.  Some do it out of deep faith.  The majority do
it for a combination of these reasons.

I don't know why Obama attended.  I'm presuming -- not alleging or
claiming -- that he went for the reasons that the majority do.

I have friends and family who have crazy ideas that I don't share.  A
few of my friends have ideas that have grown increasingly repugnant
over the years.  If they had been as crazy as they are now when we
met, they would not have become my friends.  If I was running for
President -- even of the PTA -- I might have to distance myself from
them because of their ideas.

I think that wraps up the Wright non-mystery pretty nicely.