[Vision2020] Veterans group doesn't give John McCain 21-gun salute

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 14:00:02 PDT 2008

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2008/10/07/2008-10-07_veterans_group_doesnt_give_john_mccain_2.html

Sen. John McCain gets a D when it comes to veterans issues, according
to a new congressional report card released Tuesday by Iraq and
Afghanistan Veterans of America.

Sen. Barack Obama fares better - he earned a B.

The New York-based national veterans advocacy group graded every
member of Congress on how he or she voted on major issues affecting
1.7 million vets from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sen. Joe Biden also earned a B. Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin wasn't
included in the report.

The veterans group isn't officially endorsing a candidate in next
month's election, but said the report card "speaks for itself."

"Now every American can find out who in Washington really supports
Iraq and Afghanistan veterans, and who is just full of hot air," said
the group's founder and executive director, Paul Rieckhoff.

The veterans group doesn't take a position on the war and didn't
account for military service in its report card - something that might
have helped McCain, a decorated Vietnam War hero.

Rieckhoff said McCain scored so low because he missed six of nine
major votes on veterans issues in the Senate.

"The bottom line is that you can't support the troops if you're not
there," Rieckhoff said.

He also pointed out that McCain ardently opposed the new G.I. Bill,
which finally passed both the House and Senate in June.

A McCain spokesman pointed out that the senator supported an inclusion
in the G.I. Bill that allows for soldiers to transfer benefits to
their spouse or children - one of the sticking points that held the
bill up in Congress.

Obama earned a B even though he missed four of the nine Senate votes.
In Obama's favor was that he was an early supporter of the G.I. Bill
and helped bring both sides of the aisle together on it, Rieckhoff
said.

"It's a blueprint for how you can get things done in Congress," he said.

The New York delegation fared well.

Sen. Chuck Schumer earned an A-plus, while Sen. Hillary Clinton got an
A. In the House, every New York City member earned an A, except Rep.
Vito Fossella (R-S.I.), who got a B for missing three votes.

No one earned an F, but representatives from California, Utah,
Tennessee, Colorado and Texas and senators from Oklahoma, Wyoming and
South Carolina got D's.

The entire report card can be found on the Web (www.veteranreportcard.org).