[Vision2020] An open letter to my liberal friends [was ignore trolls]

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 5 15:36:23 PDT 2008

Joe wrote:
"I’m not asking you to be like me, to accept the view above (though if you want to discuss it in more detail, I’m ready to do so). I’m just asking that you respect that I have the view. I don’t want to be you, or respond to the problems in the way that you are responding to them. That strikes me as a failure. I want to be me because that is the way that seems right for me to be."

And, that's fine with me -- my response was simply to indicate that I personally agree with the idea expressed by others and why I think the strategy is a sound one with respect to trolls specifically.

I will say that I think many of the points you make, Joe, don't relate to interactions with trolls who thrive on disruption.  It's not like, for instance, the conversations I have with my uber conservative, lifelong NRA member, law enforcement brother.  Though we disagree, the conversations start from and end on a basis of mutual respect.  He is no more trying to whip me into a frenzy than I am him, and we both abhor the hate-mongering that can be found throughout the political spectrum.

I've had extensive onlist and off conversations with Visionaries whose views are the opposite of mine, as well as with folks whose views are similar but not identical to mine, conversations I hope we each learned something from.  I could name names, but the point is that they were honest about who they were and where they were coming from -- they didn't take the coward's way out of hiding behind anonymity while throwing incendiary bombs into the community discussion.

Trolls, IMHO, are a completely different ball of wax.  My delete key works just fine, as do my bozo filters, but the problem as I see it is that virtually all other conversation gets lost when trolls are successful.  That, IMHO, is the real harm with trolls, not the time and energy anyone wastes dealing with their lies or keyboard vomit.  And, trolls *thrive* on every little crumb of attention they get, which is obvious from the current troll:  this current incarnation appeared on 9/24 and has already posted over 60 times.  When it doesn't get the desired reaction, it ups the ante until someone bites.  Thus, we feed its pathology, perhaps even contribute to its escalation, and give it far more attention than any anonymous coward not breaking the law is worth, IMHO.

Here's an analogy.  I look at trolls as being similar in some ways to drug addicts.  The "fix" for trolls is attention and disruption.  When we supply them with their fix, we are in a real sense contributing to the pathology, are we not, in a way similar to the drug dealer?

I wish the "monster spray" I successfully used for my daughter when she was a little girl worried about monsters in the closet or under her bed worked for trolls who thrive on taking over community discussions!

Clearly, I'm no shrinking violet when it comes to saying what I think :-)  I just personally don't find it to be productive to engage with anonymous cowards whose goal is to disrupt community discussion with hate-mongering, and it makes me sad that valuable discussion gets crowded out or lost in the shuffle when trolls get their way.

Of course, other than violent excision (which isn't always effective with unmoderated forums like the Viz because trolls change identities faster than a New York minute), there's no absolutely fool-proof way I'm aware of to deal with trolls.  We could all take the approach I prefer (don't feed the monster), and the troll could just keep upping the ante and upping the ante until we all abandoned this forum -- I've seen that happen elsewhere.  So, it's not like I think I have all the answers; rather, I just have a strategy I think works best ***for me***.

JMHO,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.
~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2008 through life plus 70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum without the express written permission of the author.*****