[Vision2020] Frank Rich NY Times op-ed

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Oct 5 14:01:20 PDT 2008

I don't know how to do the hyperlink thing, so I'm going to have to hope I type this correctly:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/opinion/05rich.html

This article by Frank Rich, who I usually find to be dead-on, is brilliant.  It's troubling, yes, but it's the kind of thing we all need to hear and reflect on, especially those of us surrounded by Palin cheerleaders who find no misstep in her race for VP and no discordant note in her soundbites and speeches.  I'll blog more on this later, but here's a particularly significant quote from Rich:

" . . . But there's a steady, unnerving undertone to Palin's utterances, a consistent message of hubristic self-confidence and hyper-ambition.  She wants to be president, she thinks she can be president, she thinks she will be president.  And perhaps soon.  She often sounds like someone who sees herself as half-a-heartbeat away from the presidency.  Or who is seen that way by her own camp, the hard-right GOP base that never liked McCain anyway and views him as, at best, a White House place holder."  (Frank Rich, October 5, 2008)

These are serious times for this nation, and I pray that truth will overcome deception, obfuscation, and lies of omission and commission.  And I'll add that I'm especially dismayed that Palin saw fit to suggest that Obama "doesn't see America like you and I do," which is more Right-speak for "See?  He ain't one of us!"  Locally, we've heard way too much of that -- against a U.S. citizen and professing Christian whose use of lofty rhetoric is consistent with what we expect from Presidents and those who hope to be, but who also -- and this is more rare -- backs it up with hard data, clear plans, workable policy, and a commitment to learning more that I think we can all agree is seriously lacking in our current administration.

We talked about "truth" in church today, and I was blessed.  I don't offer Rich's article as an example of truth, but as an invitation to think long and hard about what a Palin-McCain ticket (that's what it's looking like) would be.  I can truthfully say I'm frightened at the prospect.

Keely

Keely
http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/