[Vision2020] An open letter to my liberal friends [was ignore trolls]

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Oct 5 14:14:10 PDT 2008

I'll presume that I'm one of Joe's "liberal friends" in this . . .

Joe, you're certainly free to engage, as is any one of us, with whomever you want for as often and as long as you want.  I think you and anyone who recognizes my name would agree that I'm NOT of the "don't confront the bad stuff" strategy and, frankly, I've gone out on a limb not only to do so but to plead with liberal Moscow to not ignore the situation around us, and especially not in the name of "tolerance."  I hope that's clear.   Much of "progressive Moscow" lacks the foresight and the guts, not to mention the sense of urgency, that propels the kind of engagement with the Kirk that some of us participate in.   While some are fretting about the kinds of organic beef sold at the Co-Op and others decrying the sale of meat at all, a pernicious presence has taken root in Moscow and it's growing.  It has not only fruit, but roots.

 I wrestle, and wrestler harder than most people, against the things I think are evil precisely because I think it's important enough to get in the fight, get muddy, and try to hit the balance between getting in the fray with honesty and integrity, and getting into the fray only to exacerbate and accelerate it.

That said, I do have a problem with trolls who are engaging with Vision in the hope of making others run along after them.  I've made that mistake sometimes, when I've let others direct my agenda and the responses that reflect it; other times, I'll go as far as I feel is necessary, and I'll quite when it becomes not productive.  No one can decide that for me and no one can, or should, decide that for you.  But there are times when I truly think that you've waded into a situation designed only to trip you up -- not to dialogue, but to demean.  I don't like seeing you or anyone else demeaned, and especially not by cowards.  You are undeniably intelligent and far more educated than I, but I sometimes have thought that perhaps you've not prepared yourself for the foundational war at hand to the extent that it enables you to fight the battles as effectively as I know you want to.   What right do I have to say that?  None, really, other than my experiences in doing battle with the Kirk and the lessons learned from it.

Nonetheless, Joe, you get to decide at every turn what you want to do and how you want to do it.  If it seems as though I've been less than eager to join in with you, it's because I generally prefer to stand on my own, by myself, condemned, cautioned, or congratulated for my own words and work.

Keely
http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/