[Vision2020] The Persecution of Quakers: Shame On Our

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 26 08:32:05 PST 2008

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 07:52:28 Tom Hansen wrote:

> In my opinion, the age of a religion should not be a requisite to join its
> ranks.

Wouldn't life be simpler if all religions were old enough to be dead? Wouldn't
life be a lot simpler without the problems they are so talented in causing?

> Otherwise, we would all be atheists.

And still a little logically challenged without a proof of non-existence.

> It is also my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) that Christianity
> would be considered the "new kid on the block" when its age istaken into
> comparison of other world religions.

Muhammad lived in the seventh century A.D., so Islam is younger.

Actually, I suspect that the more practical comment is that even if a $DEITY
does not exist, humans are genetically and socially endowed in such manners
that humans will continue to invent what we presently can't prove, and
otherwise are reluctant to accept, probably does not exist. Humans, in the
present eon at least, have too much fun fighting each other for dominance and
control to give up inventing religions and their problems and benefits.

Just to put a book title on the point, I just started reading _Anathem_ by
Neal Stephenson, a novel about "a young avout living in the Concent of Saunt
Edhar, a sanctuary for mathematicians, scientists, and philosophers,
protected from the corrupting influences of the outside "saecular" world by
ancient stone, honored traditions, and complex rituals. Over the centuries
cities and governments have risen and fallen beyond the concent's walls.
Three times during history's darkest epochs violence born of superstition and
ignorance has invaded and and devastated the cloistered mathic community. Yet
the avout have always managed to adapt in the wake of catastrophe, becoming
out of necessity even more austere and less dependent on technology and
material things." This quoted front fly-leaf text goes on to set up the story
that follows . . .

Ken