[Vision2020] "unpleasant death as a result of disease or illness".

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 18:34:49 PST 2008

Hansen fails to understand three important points:

1) If Hansen had the state sanctioned power to end his wife's life because she was in pain, his health insurance company would be offering him two numbers, one of a bill he couldn't possibly pay in his lifetime if she lives, and a second number attached to a check for him to retire comfortably if he exercises his new Godlike powers over his wife and kills her. While most people would use their license to kill for good intentions, some might kill relatives for profit or to eliminate the responsibility of caring for someone they don't want to any more.

2)  Society would stop finding the cures and treatments for diseases and illnesses because we can simply end suffering by killing those outside our current ability to help if killing is an acceptable solution to the problem.

3) It is a dangerous slippery slope when people start assigning which people we should kill and not kill based on their current living condition and the amount of pain we think they should not be required to endure.

I believe that the rational and compassionate position when one sees a loved one in pain and discomfort should be to work to find a cure or treatment to what hinders them, not to demand the power and authority to kill them.

Best Regards,

Donovan