[Vision2020] Say What? Everyone Deserves Death

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sat May 31 21:45:45 PDT 2008

On May 30, 2008, at 11:19 PM, Donovan Arnold wrote [slightly snipped]:

> DONOVAN
> There are hundreds if not thousands of interpretations of the Bible.

RALPH
There is usually only one interpretation/translation of what the
Bible says. But there are many distortions, perversions and just
plain lies about what it says.

DONOVAN
> Mine taught me that we die because we sinned and God kicked us out
> of the Garden of Eden.

RALPH
The Bible actually says that humans were kicked out of the garden so
they could not eat of the tree of life and live forever like God. It
does not say "that we die because we sinned and God kicked us out of
the Garden of Eden."

> DONOVAN
> Ralph, it is not my intent to convince you or anyone else that
> Christ is real. That is not within my power to do so. But also
> understand, it is not within your power to convince me of your
> understanding of the Bible for two reasons. One, you don't believe
> the truth, that Christ exists, so we start off with me knowing you
> are confused in the first place. Second, the core information that
> matters is that Christ died for our sins and those that accept and
> believe shall be saved. Everything else is trivial in comparison.
> If you don't comprehend that Christ is real, I don't think you can
> fully understand the Bible.

RALPH
What the New Testament says about Christ has nothing to do with what
the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament has to say. Most of the HB was written
centuries before the NT was composed. There is no mention of Christ
anywhere in it.

> DONOVAN
>  I do commend you though for having the personal discipline to go
> through the entire Old Testament and read all of that information.

RALPH
We do not have to have "the personal discipline to go through the
entire Old Testament" to read what the LORD God himself said about no
eternal life for humans. It can be found near the end of the third
chapter of the very first book of the Old Testament. This is usually
only about 3 or 4 pages into your Bible. You can't miss it, Donovan.
And you don't have to "interpret" it either; it means exactly what it
says.

-------