[Vision2020] Say What? Everyone Deserves Death

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Thu May 29 21:36:17 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Ted Moffett <starbliss at gmail.com> wrote:

> The belief that "Everyone deserves death, unless they accept Jesus as their
> savior" is almost certainly viewed as extremist by the vast majority of
> people on Earth, those who are Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, and many other
> non-Christians.  Otherwise they would be agreeing that they deserve death,
> given they do not accept Jesus as their savior.  Not likely.

I can happily accept you clarification.  Out of the (slightly more
than) 6.5 billion people on Earth, this perverted view of human
existence is extremist.  Hopefully, the infection has spread as far it
is able without transmogrifying.  In South Korea, where they are very
enthusiastic Christians, many of the faithful are also Buddhists, a
concession which would not have been allowed here.

> I wonder if there is any data that would clarify whether or not the
> literalistic unerring word of God interpretation of the Bible is or is not a
> majority view among the global Christian community?  The view that women
> should be subservient to men, and that Gays deserve discrimination, is
> certainly not followed by millions of Christians, here in the US, and
> probably more broadly in Europe, so it appears these Christians are not
> following that particular form of a literalistic interpretation of the
> Bible.

The literalists are rare.  Even among the global Christian community,
there are, thankfully, few (at least as a percentage).  However, that
doesn't mean they aren't influential.  It is only a minority of
Muslims who are nutcases, but those nutcases shape the opinion of most
of the Western world about all of Islam.

Chas