[Vision2020] Rush Earns Idaho Education Board's Top Job

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat May 24 06:55:47 PDT 2008

>From today's (May 24, 2008) Spokesman Review -

Rush earns Idaho education board's top job

Interim director's work on budget, morale cited
Jesse Bonner
Associated Press

http://tinyurl.com/3ohj3m
Dr. Mike Rush greeting Governor Otter.

BOISE – The Idaho state Board of Education has skipped a national search
for an executive director and instead appointed interim director Mike Rush
to the position permanently after he helped bring the agency back from the
financial brink.

"They're pretty pleased with the job he's been doing," board spokesman
Mark Browning said Friday.

The board appointed Rush as interim director in September when trustees
came under heavy fire from both Gov. Butch Otter and the Senate Education
Committee for accounting miscues that left the board with a $1.4 million
deficit last year.

The board also flubbed an $18 million federal grant to help low-income
students attend college. Board President Milford Terrell, who conceded
earlier this year the board was a "dysfunctional family," was forced to
ask private foundations for matching state funding so Idaho wouldn't lose
the federal grant.

As interim director, Rush ordered a complete audit of the board's fiscal
procedures and helped stanch an outflow of personnel amid a morale crisis
that preceded his arrival.

"He has put us on a path that we will finish the year in the black with
our budget," Browning said. "Good people attract good people. When you
take a guy that has that kind of stability, that attracts stability."

The agency's woes made it a frequent target of the Senate Education
Committee during the 2008 Legislature.

Critics on that panel, including Sen. Mike Jorgenson, R-Hayden, had
encouraged the board to conduct a national search for a new director, a
new chief financial officer and a new chief academic officer. That's after
the agency's two previous directors, Dwight Johnson and Karen McGee, were
hired from within the ranks of Idaho state government.

Jorgenson said he's now satisfied Rush's selection is appropriate – even
though Rush's previous job was as administrator of the Division of
Professional-Technical Education, housed within the Board of Education.

"If it were anyone else that was appointed from the stockpile, I'd be
disappointed," Jorgenson said. "But Mike Rush is a terrific guy. He's
worked under some tough conditions. I'm satisfied that Mike is probably as
good as the board could have gotten on a national search basis."

Senate Education Committee Chairman John Goedde, R-Coeur d'Alene, said
Rush was a good choice.

"I've got a lot of respect for Mike Rush," Goedde said. "That job seems to
be eating people alive over the last couple of years. Hopefully he'll last
longer than the last three directors did."

The board hired Rush after an executive session this week in Boise.
Trustees approved a salary of $110,000 per year for Rush, including a
$7,000 bonus for the work he did as interim executive director.

Seeya at Farmers' Market, Moscow.

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)