[Vision2020] Everyone Deserves Death

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Tue May 20 10:57:43 PDT 2008

Donovan made a religious claim, that we all deserve death, i.e.,
eternal punishment for an Original Sin in an afterlife. He wrote,
"'The wages of sin is death' (Rom. 6:23 [3:23]). This is a basic
belief of Christianity."

This belief is based on incorrect understanding about what the Bible
actually says. Not only is the theory of Original Sin founded on a
false understanding of the Adam and Eve story, but it couldn't
possibly be true in the context of the Hebrew Bible (OT) because in
it there is no life after death (except in Daniel 12:2). And to
clinch my argument, I quoted God himself in Genesis 3:22-24. But it
seems Donovan doesn't believe God.

Donovan's response was to make ad hominem remarks about me
personally. Do I have to believe every book I read before I quote
from it, Donovan? It was the early Xian writers who cherry-picked the
Hebrew Bible when composing the epistles and gospels.

Donovan and other Xian believers don't KNOW that there IS life after
death, whereas I know that there is no evidence for such a claim. And
the more we learn in science, the more unrealistic such beliefs
become. I also find it fascinating that not all religions believe in
an afterlife either, as I have just demonstrated.

Ralph

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon May 19 19:01:34 PDT 2008

Ralph,

   Quit with the strawman arguments. I never set out to prove
anything. Your saying so is a outright misunderstanding, or
intentional deception to try and avoid answering my question.

   I will ask it again, for the THIRD time:

   "How can someone KNOW that there is no afterlife?"

   Don't say it is in the Bible. Show me how someone can KNOW for
FACT there is no afterlife. The Bible reader can only believe there
is or is not an afterlife, but they still don't know for FACT, as you
claim.

   If you cannot answer that, then your statement, "And if the
religionists would read the Bible more carefully, they would know
that there is no life after death.", is a flat out lie.

   Just so there is NO confusion. I am not interested in convincing
you of an afterlife. Nor debating the Bible with you. I just want to
know, how in your mind, anyone can KNOW there is no afterlife?

   Best Regards,

   Donovan

Ralph Nielsen <nielsen at uidaho.edu> wrote:
   Donovan is playing games again. He set out to prove that we all
deserve to die and, furthermore, that we deserve to be punished after
we die, in an alleged afterlife. He has not proven this at all.

I, however, have shown that his religious claim cannot be true
because it is based on Xian distortion of an ancient Hebrew
etiological story. Evidently Donovan doesn't believe that the Bible
is true, and he doesn't believe what God said about no afterlife for
humans.

Donovan also distorted my statement. I wrote, "And if the
religionists would read the Bible more carefully, they would know
that there is no life after death." I didn't say that I know that.

However, it isn't up to me to prove that there isn't, it's up to
Donovan and other Xian believers to prove that there is. And whether
something is true or not does not depend on the number of believers
one can persuade. It depends on the evidence.

Ralph