[Vision2020] Food/gas prices:Cheney_PeakOil_FCD.pdf

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 06:28:40 PDT 2008

It appears we will not be, actually, are now not (oil still holding at over
$100 a barrel), adequately prepared for the consequences of the end of the
age of cheap oil.  If we were prudently preparing, we would already see the
widespread roll out of practical affordable environmentally sound
alternatives to a fossil fueled transportation sector.

Exxon/Mobil in 2007 earned the highest quarterly profits of any US
corporation in history:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/01/news/companies/exxon_earnings/

Exxon's record results, which coincide with smaller rival Chevron's
(CVX<http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=CVX&source=story_quote_link>,
Fortune 500<http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2007/snapshots/290.html?source=story_f500_link>)
profit jump, drew some fire from both government officials and consumer
rights groups, who have argued previously that the the oil industry is
deliberately restricting supply and profiting on the back of U.S. motorists.

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y. took a swipe at the two firms, calling on
fellow lawmakers to break the country's dependence on foreign oil and
rollback unnecessary tax incentives for oil companies.

Judy Dugan, research director of The Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer
Rights, urged Congress to initiate some oversight into unregulated energy
trading markets, which have been accused of helping to drive up the price of
oil.

"Exxon is happy to take advantage of these prices," said Dugan.
---------------------------------
Now read the following while listening to Liza Minnelli sing "Money, Money"
from Cabaret in the background:

http://www.globaloilwatch.com/reports/Cheney_PeakOil_FCD.pdf

>From the pdf  document at URL above:

Dick Cheney:

"I'm often asked why I left politics and went to Halliburton and I explain
that I reached the point where I was mean spirited, short tempered and
intolerant of those who disagreed with me and they said 'Hell, you'd make a
great CEO'."

"Oil is unique in that it is so strategic in nature.  We are not talking
about soap flakes or leisureware here. Energy is truly fundamental to the
world's economy.  The Gulf War was a reflection of that reality."

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett