[Vision2020] Hawkins Water and Sewer Infrastructure Costs

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Mon Mar 31 23:17:02 PDT 2008

I agree with you and I am ready to end this thread,
and would have, except I want to clarify your last
email, g, as there is some misunderstanding.

When I wrote, "from what I understand, rate payers
outside of Moscow pay about twice the rate as Moscow
folk, but that is to pay for extending the service to
those people outside of the city."

I was talking about folks currently using our system
who are outside of Moscow's core system.  I was not
talking about Hawkins.  You are right that Hawkins
will be paying to lay its connection to Moscow's
system. According the Water Dept, my quoted statement
is correct.  Your interpretation of what I wrote is
wrong.

You say my quote "...if Hawkins doesn't use our sewer
system, we will be less likely to have our rates for
sewer use increased due to bonds to pay for
expansions."

is wrong, but I believe you are wrong to say that, as
this common sense.  The more capacity our sewer needs
to process, the quicker it will be maxed out,
regardless of who is supplying the sewage.

You ask,

"If a system is  running at 99% capacity do you place
all blame and burden on the user that comes along last
and tips it over the edge or the majority of users who
brought it up to the that point?"

No, I do not place all the blame on the last user to
tip it over the edge.  The majority of users before
hand were the ones who paid for it, so I can't blame
them completely, either.   But I will complain about
an out of state development that uses a significant
amount of sewage capacity (that 45 acre feet of water,
and all the crap produced at Hawkins, has to go some
where.)  And since Moscow allegedly cannot regulate
the sewage produced at Hawkins (such as grease) there
is a potential that this same development will affect
the performance of Moscow's sewage plant, potentially
harming the ability our the plant to process the waste
properly.  Someone has to pay for the upgrade, and it
will need to be paid for sooner if Hawkins uses
Moscow's sewer system.  If Hawkins uses the system,
Moscow ratepayer fees are likely to increase to pay
for that upgrade sooner rather than later.

gclev

=== message truncated ===