[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for March 28, 2008

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Mar 28 05:41:56 PDT 2008

The UI Friday Letter for March 28, 2008 -

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
March 28, 2008

Dear Friends,

I'm pleased to announce two appointments at the University of Idaho that,
respectively, bolster our academic leadership in the sciences and address
our aspirations for greater athletic success.

Scott A. Wood, professor of geochemistry and environmental science, has
been selected as dean of the College of Science following a national
search. He has served as interim dean since July 2007, and takes up the
permanent post April 7. The College of Science is home to seven academic
departments with 95 faculty and approximately 970 students. As interim
dean, Scott has enhanced research opportunities for faculty members,
guided the college's strategic planning process and focused on development
opportunities.

Scott joined the University of Idaho's geological sciences department,
then housed in the College of Mines and Earth Resources, in 1992. He has
gained national distinction as a professor and researcher. He is the
recipient of the Distinguished Service Award of the Division of
Geochemistry of the American Chemical Society; two meritorious service
awards from the Geochemical Society; the 2005 College of Science
Distinguished Faculty Award; and the 1998 University of Idaho Award for
Excellence in Research. His research has been supported by organizations
including the Geological Survey of Canada and Quebec's Ministry of Energy
and Resources; the U.S. Departments of Energy and Defense; NASA and the
National Institutes of Health; and NATO (North Atlantic Treaty
Organization). Scott also has been a visiting scientist at the Oak Ridge
and Los Alamos National laboratories.

Scott earned his master's and doctoral degrees in geology from Princeton
University, and his bachelor's in chemistry and geology from Hamilton
College. I look forward to his continued service as dean of the College of
Science.

On Monday, Don Verlin joined us as our new men's basketball coach,
replacing George Pfeifer. I am grateful to George for his contributions to
the University, and I send best wishes for the future to him and his
family. Don has been an assistant basketball coach at Utah State
University for the past 10 seasons, and was a key part of Utah State's
nine successive post-season appearances and nine successive 20-plus-win
seasons. I am impressed with Don's integrity, his commitment to guiding
student-athletes to their degrees and his competitive spirit. These
qualities all fit well with our aspirations for the intercollegiate
athletics program, and the specific goal of building a successful men's
basketball program competing in the Western Athletic Conference. Please
join me in welcoming Don and his wife, Serena, and their children, Jacob
and Sydnee, to the University of Idaho.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

The Borah Symposium is March 30 through April 2, and will include a full
schedule of events focused on "Reconciliation" following inter- or intra-
state conflict. Frederik Willem (F.W.) de Klerk, the last state president
of apartheid-era South Africa, will be the keynote speaker. He will speak
at 7 p.m. in the Student Union Building Ballroom. All symposium
presentations are free and open to the public, and seating is on a first-
come, first-served basis. For more information, visit:

www.martin.uidaho.edu/borah

Earlier in the day, de Klerk will join President Timothy White, College of
Natural Resources Dean Steven Daley-Laursen and members of the Borah
Foundation for a ceremonial tree planting at 5 p.m. at the east end of the
Administration Lawn next to the Spanish-American War memorial soldier
statue. A grand fir, grown at the University's Franklin H. Pitkin Forest
Nursery, will be planted to honor de Klerk's contributions toward global
peace. The tree planters will use the shovel used by President Theodore
Roosevelt to plant a blue spruce in the University of Idaho's Presidential
Grove on April 9, 1911.

The University's fourth annual human rights conference, "Finding the
Center" is April 4-5 in the Idaho Commons. Workshops that address
communication and collaborative strategies for problem solving will be
presented to support the conference's theme, "Resolving Differences: The
Seed of Unity." Author Burl Barer will present the keynote address, "How
to Always be Right." More information is available at www.uidaho.edu/ftc.
Scholarships for students and others are available and interdepartmental
budget transfers can be used for faculty and staff registrations.

The Micron Foundation is the premier sponsor of this year's College of
Engineering Design EXPO with a gift of $25,000. The EXPO, held April 25,
is the Pacific Northwest's largest interdisciplinary initiative showcasing
the world of engineering and technological innovation. Micron's gift will
allow distant high school math and science students, who may otherwise may
not be able, to attend this year's event. Micron hopes to inspire young
science and math students to pursue careers in engineering and present
opportunities - from building and bridge design to nanotechnology and
biochemistry - to those students' parents and teachers.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3