[Vision2020] Anyone want a basketball coaching job?

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 22:04:06 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Let's try to get some perspective here.  It's a bunch of people bouncing a ball,
>  passing it around, and tossing it in the air in the hopes of getting it
>  to fall through a metal hoop screwed into a support.  No matter how good
>  they are at it, it's still a silly activity in the grand scheme of things.

>  I have nothing against sports, I really enjoyed the little I played them
>  in high school.  It's blowing it out of proportion that gets to me.
>  There are about a thousand programs that are more important to society
>  and the world around us that that kind of money should be going to.

Damn, I'm glad that you wrote this and not me.  Of course, I agree
with you entirely.

I used to work with a guy who was a major sports enthusiast and he
would begin every morning with a play by play recounting of any game
he happened to have watched the night before.  I politely asked him to
stop, but he continued.  I told him that I didn't care, but he
continued.  Finally, I asked him, "Are we talking about football,
baseball, or hockey here?"  He was so flummoxed that he never bothered
me again.

I watch the World Cup once every four years, mainly for nostalgic
reasons.  That, and its elegant.  I find it sorta pretty.

Chas