[Vision2020] Anyone want a basketball coaching job?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 18:40:18 PDT 2008

I really hate this tradition of firing a coach when the team loses more
than it wins.  Half the coaches are out of a job every year.  I know
it's not that bad, but I think it's ridiculous.  Let's bring somebody
in, let them take a few years to be forged in the fire, and then keep
them despite their win/loss record providing they are not completely
incompetent.

It's the fact that a winning sports team means more money from wealthy
and not-so-wealthy alumni that causes this kind of problem.  Let's try
to get some perspective here.  It's a bunch of people bouncing a ball,
passing it around, and tossing it in the air in the hopes of getting it
to fall through a metal hoop screwed into a support.  No matter how good
they are at it, it's still a silly activity in the grand scheme of things.

I have nothing against sports, I really enjoyed the little I played them
in high school.  It's blowing it out of proportion that gets to me.
There are about a thousand programs that are more important to society
and the world around us that that kind of money should be going to.

Paul

Anybody want a hamburger?  I seem to have a large, dead, sacred cow on
my hands...