[Vision2020] Anyone want a basketball coaching job?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 23:06:45 PDT 2008

Chasuk wrote:
> I used to work with a guy who was a major sports enthusiast and he
> would begin every morning with a play by play recounting of any game
> he happened to have watched the night before.  I politely asked him to
> stop, but he continued.  I told him that I didn't care, but he
> continued.  Finally, I asked him, "Are we talking about football,
> baseball, or hockey here?"  He was so flummoxed that he never bothered
> me again.

I can understand getting enthusiastic about things and wanting to share
it with others.  It's just that nobody wants to hear about the
programming trick I just learned and had to play with all weekend.

When people ask me who I'm rooting for in the Superbowl, I usually reply
with "I'm not going to watch it, I'm not really into baseball anyway".
I like their expressions, both facial and verbal, and it covers the fact
that I usually don't know who's playing until about three days before it
starts and the media blitz is big enough to get past my not watching TV,
my spam filters, and my use of the firefox adblock extension.

There's a part of me that could get into sports, but I work hard to
repress it because I have enough time-sinks at the moment.

Paul