[Vision2020] The Evangelical Christian Takeover of the Military

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 13:26:52 PDT 2008

On 3/11/08, Warren Hayman <whayman at roadrunner.com> wrote:

>   "However, in my view, everything occurring on our planet is a wholly
> owned subsidiary of Earth Biosphere, Inc.  I will not elaborate on this
> concept, knowing full well the incredible can of worms it will open."
>
> Aren't you obamanating Gaylord Nelson's statement a bit with that quote?
> "The economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment."
>
> I've always enjoyed that thought, and find said can much more full of
> common sense than worms, but what the heck.

Well, I see that a worm or two managed to squiggle out of the can...

Thanks for the reference to Gaylord Nelson and the "economy is a subsidiary
of the environment" concept.  I was writing within the context of the thread
"Evangelical Christian Takeover of the Military," so I meant the quote you
post as meaning more that religion is a "subsidiary" of the biosphere.  I
was not focusing on the economic implications of this concept given
environmentalism.  I did not make my meaning very clear.

General Boykin's comments about whose God is bigger are ridiculous when
looking at all religion as a development of human culture that is itself a
subset of the web of life on Earth.  From this point of view, it might be
said that bacteria are "bigger" than any God, given that if all bacteria
disappeared from Earth, humanity would go extinct, along with General Boykin
and all the other evangelicals.  It is easy to overlook how absolutely
dependent human existence is on the web of life on Earth, even on "lowly"
lifeforms, such as bacteria.

Such a concept, that religion is a "subsidiary" of the biosphere, is a can
of worms, theologically and philosophically, given the difficulties in
defending its truth, and politically and even personally speaking, given how
expressing such a point of view can make an organization or a person
unpopular.  What do you think the odds would be for a presidential candidate
to be elected who openly asserted they were not Christian?  Obama has to go
out of his way to insist he is a Christian, due to the political damage of
being perceived as Muslim, even with similarities between the two religions
in belief in God.

We live in a culture, to state the obvious, with an overwhelming dominance
of a "God" oriented view of the universe, where God sits as creator of the
Earth and all humanity, and Nature is more of a stage for the drama than the
source of life upon which we are absolutely dependent for our creation
(evolution) and continued survival.

Now is the "can of worms" I was referring to defined a bit better?

Precisely define "obamanating."  This word is not in my dictionary.  I'd
guess it's a newly coined "word" referring to the charge Barack Obama
recently made public statements that were actually quotes from someone else,
who was not given credit by Obama.

Ted Moffett