[Vision2020] congratulations to First Step

Bill London london at moscow.com
Mon Mar 3 11:42:40 PST 2008

First Step was awarded the 2008 Torch Award from the inland northwest Better Business Bureau.  The award is given to businesses with exemplary marketplace ethics.

If you want to read more about this, look below for a copy of the article from Sunday's (that is March 2, 2008) Spokesman Review.

>From my own experience, I think First Step fully deserves this honor.  For example, First Step hosts our community discussion on Vision 2020 at no charge.  The company techno-wizards have given V2020 many hours of free trouble-shooting and countless technical upgrades.

Congratulations to First Step.

BL

The Spokesman-Review
Better Business Bureau--
Best practices deserve a place of honor
Jan Quintrall
March 2, 2008

Frankly, for the most part ethics is a dirty job. We hold the marketplace accountable on both sides of the transactional coin, and that is not always a happy experience for the individual and business involved.

On Feb. 28, we celebrated regional ethics in the marketplace. But more importantly we celebrated the collaboration of students and business people to reward the best ethical practices in our region.

In fall 2007, the BBB made a call for nominations in all three states it serves, then passed them on to teams of Gonzaga University business students and, for the first time, Washington State University business students.

The students worked with the nominated companies to help complete award applications. Judges selected one winner in each size category.

We contacted winners and scheduled interviews with the principals that were filmed and edited by a group of Gonzaga broadcast journalism students.

While the BBB values recognition of best business practices, this process is really about students experiencing ethics in everyday life. One student team, for example, helped a company work through its application package, only to conclude the company had mostly nice, shiny policies with little meat on the delivery of those values. All of these are lessons they will not soon forget.

The 2008 Torch Award winners for marketplace ethics are:

. Under 12 employees: Jerry's Auto Repair of Pullman.

. 13-99 employees: First Step Internet of Moscow

. 100-999 employees: The Davenport Hotel and Tower of Spokane

. More than 1,000 employees: REI

. Franchise or part of larger corporation: Clinkerdagger of Spokane

Honorable mentions this year went to Garco Construction, Fidelity Associates and Itron.

Both BBB accredited and non-accredited businesses are eligible for the awards. A satisfactory BBB record and a willingness to submit is all that's required to enter.

What made these companies stand out from 60 other applicants? A couple of things rang true throughout judges' comments:

.All of the winners have clear values, ethics statements and policies, but before any of that works, they are sure their employees know how much they are valued as individuals and team members. The chef at Clinkerdagger told me a story about how the company insisted on sending him home in the middle of his first month of training so he could be with his family over the holidays. They even paid for it. He will never forget that message of, "we value you as a whole person."

.Community citizenship is more than a promise; it is a value shared with everyone, even vendors. First Step Internet serves all of Whitman County's libraries and did the hardware work that the big guys saw as unprofitable. They serve some very remote outlying areas and took it upon themselves to apply for the grants to get service into these areas.

.When people really love their jobs, passion radiates and the level of dedication and service is high. The Davenport Hotel and Tower is not just another hotel, and the people who work there breathe that difference. The video interview team was impressed with this company's glowing message, which is unusual in this day of sparse loyalty and historical insight. As for REI, its staffers are not only a wealth of information, but they also are excited about the outdoor lifestyle and the environment. It is contagious.

.The bottom line is not the driver behind all decisions. Jerry's Auto Repair donates money made by recycling waste oil to help less fortunate individuals pay off medical bills. To those who complain about not seeing enough good news, please savor this column and know we are surrounded by some amazing stories of businesses doing the right thing.