[Vision2020] Fw: ENERGY E-MAIL DRAWS MORE THAN 500 RESPONSES OVERNIGHT

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Wed Jun 18 09:37:51 PDT 2008

-----Original message-----

From: "Crapo News Release (Crapo)" newsclips at crapo.senate.gov
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:16:39 -0700
Subject: ENERGY E-MAIL DRAWS MORE THAN 500 RESPONSES OVERNIGHT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:    Susan Wheeler (202) 224-5150

June 17, 2008
Lindsay Nothern (208) 344-1108

ENERGY E-MAIL DRAWS MORE THAN 500 RESPONSES OVERNIGHT

Crapo's request for input from Idahoans on gas prices gets strong
response

Washington, DC - Idaho Senator Mike Crapo asked Idahoans to give
Congress input on lowering high energy costs, and he got it-more than
500 e-mailed responses in one evening.  Monday, Crapo sent e-mails and
posted a request on his website seeking comment on efforts to lower
prices for gasoline, diesel fuel and other energy costs.  He plans to
share the responses with fellow Senators.

Many of the Idahoans who have responded say they agree with Crapo that
energy conservation plans should be linked with increased exploration
efforts and development of alternative energy sources that would not
leave the U.S. dependent on foreign fuel sources.

"Today, we had to make the difficult choice of putting fuel in the car
or grocery shopping," wrote a Boise resident.  "We gassed up the car and
decided to try to make it until payday with the food we had at home.  I
have never felt so sick and downtrodden at the one or the other kind of
option we faced today.  I went home and also decided through some back
bills that our housing heating and cooling has doubled since 2002."

"It has mostly affected my family.  My five children, 7 years and
younger, can no longer feel free to visit their dying grandmother and
grandfather, just three and a half hours away," said another respondent,
who noted the price of a trip has tripled from $20 to $60.  "Grandma and
Grandpa don't come visit us anymore, but maybe once every 6 months.
They used to come once a month."

"Both my husband and I have been eating less to ensure that our children
are well fed, among other cuts in our life ... we need to be utilizing
our own resources within our country," wrote another Idahoan.

A Rigby businessman noted that diesel prices are devastating the
construction industry.  "These fuel prices are putting people out of
work," he wrote.  An official with an energy assistance operation in
Idaho Falls says he has received requests from many families who have
never applied for assistance before.  "What this tells us is that
families have been able to make [do] until now, but because of high fuel
costs and higher grocery prices, they are [now not] able to meet all of
their obligations," he wrote.

Crapo said Congress should return to legislation expanding energy
exploration and alternative fuels as it prioritizes conservation.
"While we must focus on conservation, we should also diversify our
energy policy and begin using our own production capacity so that we can
become less dependent on the whims of OPEC nations and others who would
drive up the price of gasoline," Crapo said.  "As we get Idahoans
involved telling their stories here in Congress, it is my hope that
these messages will help my colleagues recognize the dire pressures that
our families across this country are facing.  These pressures are not
just being faced by Idahoans.  This input can make the difference as we
debate future energy policy."

 Crapo is asking Idahoans to send him an e-mail at
energy_prices at crapo.senate.gov with a paragraph or two about how they
and family members are affected by high energy prices.  Those writing
are also invited to share the priorities that they think Congress should
set in resolving this crisis-increased domestic oil production, expanded
nuclear energy research, incentives for conservation, or any additional
information that they wish to share.

To directly link to this news release, please use the following address:

http://crapo.senate.gov/media/newsreleases/release_full.cfm?id=299260

# # #

FOR INTERESTED MEDIA: A radio actuality is available by calling
1-800-545-1267.  Press 327 at any time during or after the greeting and
instructions.  You can also access the actuality through the Internet at
http://src.senate.gov/radio/.

This is generated from an unattended mailbox. If you have constituent
comments or information you would like forwarded to Senator Crapo,
please do so at the Senator's website, http://crapo.senate.gov
<http://crapo.senate.gov/> . Comments sent to this e-mail address will
not be responded to.