[Vision2020] Gitmo

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 19:59:15 PDT 2008

Andreas,

Not all victims of 9/11 are dead. So you are incorrect in this regard. Second, it is criminal, in my opinion, not to bring those to justice that assisted in the planning, funding, preparation, and financing of the attacks. We must also stop or prevent others that may try it again. Those that assist in murder, are just as dangerous as those that pull the trigger, and need to be brought to justice.

"Donovan, neither you nor I have control over the actions of
terrorists. Eighteen dead men caused the deaths of 3,000 others, and
no amount of vengeance will bring those people back. The best we can
hope for is perfect justice in the afterlife."

No, you and I don't as individuals don't have much control. But our government does have the ability to impact the actions of future terrorist attacks, and the obligation to bring those to justice that implement, planned, and financed past attacks. To ignore this, is to ignore the main function of government which is to protect us from foreign invasion and attack.

"We can't prevent future terrorist attacks by chaining up, at
best, al-Qaida grunts."

Andreas, I disagree, in war we shoot the grunts, not just the generals. Every terrorist we chain up, is one less we have to worry about killing an innocent person. We should be chaining up every terrorist we can, not only for past crimes, but for the prevention of future ones. Letting people out that have a demonstrated intent, interest, and ability to hurt Americans at home and abroad is irresponsible at best, if not criminal and incompetence.

"In the meantime, we're losing our grip on what makes us Americans: a willingness to give up our lives in exchange for our liberty and national integrity."

Andreas, Americans not only are willing to give up their lives to protect this country, but they are right now. But to paraphrase General Patton, the goal of war is not to give up Americans lives for our liberty, but to get the enemy to give up their lives.

Best Regards,

Donovan