[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] in a better world ...

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu Jul 31 19:54:03 PDT 2008

Just one more thought, Paul, and that's this -- bad theology leads to bad practice.  If, for example, you are a pastor and can convince your flock that "the Bible teaches this," they will act accordingly.  And if it doesn't, their actions will be opposed to the will or plan of their God.

An example, not from Moscow, is the way evangelical theologians have redefined the Trinity to assert that Jesus is eternally subordinate to the Father.  That's a heresy, but why should anyone care?  Well, because the argument goes like this:  If Jesus, who is "of the same substance" as God the Father, nonetheless is subordinate to him in function and role, then women, "of the same substance" as men, are also subordinate to them in function and role.  They're the same, in a sense, but yet somehow always subordinate.  The danger of this line of thinking is, I think, well established.  Is it the only reason some men are sexists?  No.  But it certainly gives the appearance of theological maturity and philosophical gravitas, no matter how wrong it is and has been since the Arians posited the same idea in the first couple of centuries after Christ.

Not at all coincidentally, the biggest supporters and defenders of Trinitarian subordinationism are those who call for women's complete subordination to men, following the Reformed theologians of the last century who believed that slaves' subordination was entirely defensible.  And that leads us back to . . . Moscow, where men are men, women are women,  and slaveholders needn't have felt too feel bad about it.

Keely