[Vision2020] Warning to the GOP: Don't Mess with Medicare

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Thu Jul 17 22:02:32 PDT 2008

The item below might be of interest. I posted it to another
discussion group at the time.

NIELSEN (Feb. 22, 2008)
Last night I listened on my internet radio to the 2-hour debate in
Edmonton, Alberta, between the heads of the following political
parties: Conservative, Liberal, New Democratic, and an upstart
libertarian group called the Wild Rose Party. (The wild rose is
Alberta's provincial flower.) The Conservatives have been in power
for 37 years.

The election was called on 4 weeks notice and will be held on Mon.
March 3. Voters will put an X beside the name of the local candidate
of their choice, put it in the box, and go home. The party that gets
the most members elected will form the next provincial government. My
guess is that the Conservatives will win again.

In the entire 2 hours not one candidate proposed scrapping the single-
payer medical insurance system they have in Alberta. Not the
Conservatives, not even the Wild Roses! Several improvements were
suggested but the system itself will remain. There is no popular
desire anywhere in Canada to revert to the old American-style health
insurance system that they used to have. Not even in Alberta.

I have lived in Alberta for several years, so I still keep posted.

March 3, 2008
The Alberta election is over. The Conservative Party of Alberta won
reelection and gained 11 more seats than it originally had! The Wild
Rose Party (libertarian) got no seats at all. Doesn't this tell you
something about so-called "socialized medicine," as Senator Crapo and
others like to call single-payer medical and hospital insurance?

Ralph