[Vision2020] Info Regarding Political Signs

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jul 18 05:18:10 PDT 2008

The city council meets at 7:00 on Monday.  Perhaps this subjuct should be
brought up durinig the public commentary portion.

> I have a problem with limiting the number of days a person can put up a
sig> n before an election. If you want to put up an Obama or McCain, or
other
po> litical campaign sign in your private yard 24/7, you ought to be
allowed
to>  do so as long as the sign is not a serious blight or hazard to
others.

<vision2020 at mosco> w.com>, "Kai Eiselein, Editor" <editor at lataheagle.com>
> Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 10:34 AM
>

> I think this ordinance is specifically for signs on real property (the
land>  your house or business sits on) and not personal property (cars,
yourself,>  etc.). I don't know about the house window.  Would waving a
Vandal or
Co> ugar flag effectively be considered a "sign"? During football season,
my
so> n routinely puts a Cougar, Vandal, or Seahawks sign in his window.
These
ar> e symbols of pride. A political sign is also a symbol of pride. In the
case>  of the Presidential candidates, many of the people who have these
signs
(M> cCain and Obama) personally purchased them, they were not purchased by
ca> mpaign or "committee to elect..."

> Tom Ivie

prope> rty. It strikes me as akin to the city saying people cannot discuss
politic> s until 60 days before an election.
> I've never displayed a political sign my self, but this angers me.
> "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
pro> hibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or
> of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
peti> tion the government for a redress of grievances."
> I feel an editorial coming on....

t> o the election that the candidate is participating in (not before).
Sign> s that are posted currently may be removed.  People can get signs
back
if>  they contact me.  I am posting the relevant portion of the Code below.

> Political advertisements may be posted on private property in the City in
a> ccordance with the following restrictions:
>        1.  Residential Zoning Districts:  A maximum of six
> (6) square feet of total area per sign shall be permitted on private
proper> ty.
> 2.  Commercial Zoning Districts:  A maximum of thirty-two (32) square
f> eet of total area per sign shall be permitted on private property.  A
sig> n exceeding thirty-two (32) square feet of total area shall comply
with
Tit> le 7, Chapter 6, of this Code.
> 3.  Political advertisements shall not create a public nuisance, a
privat> e nuisance, or a hazard as determined by the City Engineer or
Community
Dev> elopment Director.
> 4.  Placement, Display and Removal:
>             a.         Placement.
> All political advertisement shall be secured to the ground or to a
structur> e so as not to create a hazard.
>             b.         Display.
No>  political advertisement shall be displayed more than sixty (60) days
prece> ding the first day of election for the office for which such is an
advertis> ement.
> c.         Removal.  All political advertisements shall
b> e removed within seven (7) days following the day of final election for
the>  office for which they are advertisements.  If not timely removed, the

http://www.fsr.net    >
>  List services made available by First Step Internet,
>  List services made available by First Step Internet,

=====