[Vision2020] Press Release

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Wed Jan 30 15:52:55 PST 2008

Press Release

To:       Interested Media

From:   Gary J. Riedner, Moscow City Supervisor

206 E. 3rd St., Moscow, Idaho 83843

Telephone: (208) 883-7006

Fax: (208) 883-7018

E-mail: griedner at ci.moscow.id.us

c:         Mayor, City Council, City Management Team

Date:    January 30, 2008

Re:       Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

City of Moscow Commends Focus the Nation and Supporters

Moscow, Idaho, January 30, 2008 - The City of Moscow is proud to support
upcoming Focus the Nation events taking place on January 31.  Mayor
Nancy Chaney commends the participating agencies such as the University
of Idaho and the Palouse Clearwater Environmental Institute for their
participation in hosting events surrounding this program.

The City of Moscow has a commitment to protecting the environment,
improving quality of life, and promoting sustainability. In order to
fulfill this commitment, the City is actively facilitating a green
building program that will offer local contractors and owner/builders
the option of certifying their residential projects as "Green".

The City of Moscow also participates in the ICLEI program.  ICLEI was
founded in 1990 as the International Council for Local Environmental
Initiatives. Also known now as the Local Governments for Sustainability,
ICLEI is an international association of local governments and national
and regional local government organizations that have made a commitment
to sustainable development. As part of our effort to become a more
sustainable community, Moscow is working with ICLEI on a baseline
greenhouse gas emissions inventory for the city.

The City of Moscow is also proud to have Moscow Recycling available to
all of our citizens.  This facility provides curbside recycling pick-up
service, as well as a drop off facility.  The drop off area is open 24
hours a day, 7 days a week and pick up service runs concurrent with
regular solid waste pick up.

Water conservation is of the highest importance in our community.  The
City's goal is to reduce water consumption today to ensure plentiful
supplies tomorrow for our community and our children.  The City of
Moscow Water Department offers free water saving devices for inside and
outside the home to the citizens of Moscow.

As agencies around the nation make the move to become a more sustainable
community, the importance of bio-diesel is at the forefront of
discussions.  In light of the importance to sustaining our environment,
the City of Moscow has begun supplementing with bio-diesel in many of
its vehicles.  Currently, bio-diesel is being used as much as 20% during
the summer months in compatible vehicles.

Moscow is making great strides to providing an environmentally sound
community for today and the future.  By committing to developing
programs to conserve water, promote bio-diesel fuel use and monitor our
own green house gases, we hope to move towards providing a sustainable
community now and into the future.

January 31st Focus the Nation Events include:

*	A Webcast screening of "The 2% Solution," noon-2 p.m., Commons
Whitewater Room
*	Forum, "Obstacles to Combating Climate Change and How to
Overcome Them," 6 p.m., Mikey's Gyros
*	Webcast of the "Architecture 2030" in University architecture
classes. Online: www.architecture2030.org/
*	Participation in the "Face-It" architectural challenge. Web
site: www.architecture2030.org/faceit/index.php. To participate, e-mail
Nick Hubof at nhubof at vandals.uidaho.edu.

For more information on city initiatives please contact:

*	Green Building - Please call the Community Development
Department at (208) 883-7022 or visit
http://www.ci.moscow.id.us/CommDev/GreenBuilding.asp
*	ICLEI & Green House Gas Emissions - Please visit ICLEI at
http://www.iclei.org/, for City Green House Gas Emissions information,
please call the City of Moscow Sustainability Intern at (208) 883-7000
*	Recycling - Please call Moscow Recycling at (208) 882-0590
*	Water Conservation - Please call the City of Moscow Water
Department, Nichole Baker at (208) 883-7114

###