[Vision2020] Contractors

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Wed Jan 30 07:32:49 PST 2008

J and Vizzz peeps,

I have had a chance to go through emails and need to vent a minute.  (by
the way, I'm wearing my Highway District hat right now, not my City
Council hat) . . .

Normally, I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to cleaning my driveway.
I'm "lucky", I guess, that I don't have sidewalk in front of my house
(yet) that I'd have to keep clean, not that it'd be that difficult.
This winter, however, work has taken me away from my shovelling duties
and my driveway has a snow floor for the first time since I moved in.  I
hate it.  This prompts me to help people to understand the plight of
those who have to answer the call and go do the snow removal thing.

Normally, when plowing is necessary, those who do the snow removal
aren't aware of the need until they are rousted out of their peaceful
slumber with the "GO" call.  Of course, they could take the time to
clear their driveway and sidewalk before they head in to work, but that
creates the other issue of phone call complaints about the streets not
getting cleared quickly enough.  There's no "Get up early and shovel
your walk" for these people.  It's a no-win situation.

Now, I realize that not all of the complaints about clearing sidewalks
relate to homeowners, but I'm sure there are a few.  I'm stubborn enough
that I'm not going to call PCEI to come do mine (luckily, the boy has
been out of school the last couple days and has been helping out the old
man, so I can't complain too much -- at least he's trying).

I guess my only message here is that people be a little understanding
in some cases.  Sure there are some jackadonkeys out there that are just
lazy and not getting with it, but there are others we don't need to be
harping on when they might be doing the best they can with the time they
have.

And now let me put on my other hat and say "Please shovel your sidewalks
as soon as possible!"

Thanks for listening

Dan Carscallen

P.S. to J:  You can go into the vision2020.moscow.com site and edit your
account settings so you only get the one email.

DC