[Vision2020] Moscow's New Noise Ordinance

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Wed Jan 23 10:11:44 PST 2008

The reason given to allow police to initiate a
citation is to prevent retaliation against people who
complain.  The police say they do not plan to cruise
around looking for NO violators (are they going to
wait for anonymous complaints?), and Randy F. says
that if someone complains anonymously about a noisy
neighbors, those records are available and if someone
wants that as evidence in a trial, they will be able
to find out who called, so there is no set anonymity.

So I wonder, how are the police going to enforce the
law without violating their promise and maintaining
complainee anonymity?

If they aren't cruising to target people, then there
won't be any citations.  If they wait for complaints,
then the reason for allowing police-initiated
citations (to allow for anonymity) is no longer valid
since the person who gets cited can find out who
complained.

Therefore, it only seems logical to limit
police-initiated citations to the stated problem,
party houses, by having a set time frame and decibel
limit and therefore they will feel more comfortable
cruising for violators.  And if violators are
obviously breaking the law, it shouldn't be a big deal
to take a decibel reading to back up the charge.

If someone challenges a citation in court, the charge
is more likely to be upheld if there is evidence of a
noise violation, i.e. exceeding a decibel limit.  The
analogy is a traffic violation. You get a speeding
ticket if you exceed the speed limit.  That is
determined with a radar and that evidence is used in
court.  If there is no decibel reading being done by
police, the court is going to wonder how they
determined if the NO was violated.  It is in the
police's interest to have corraborating evidence, not
a subjective, "She was too loud because I thought she
was" which apparantly seems to be the argument the
city thinks is reasonable in citing somebody under
this law.

4 months of work on this, and the city still doesn't
get it.  I hope someone challenges the law and it gets
overturned, because there are way more reasonable ways
to deal with noise.  It's too bad that if that
happens, all of us will end up paying those legal fees
with our tax dollars.

Garrett

--- Sunil Ramalingam <sunilramalingam at hotmail.com>

http://www.ci.moscow.id.us/cityclerk/2007minutesalt.asp

> > > I met with our Chief of Police Dan Weaver a
> couple
> > > weeks ago and asked him if he would recommend
> what
> > > would become Version C.  He thought it was
> reasonable
> > > and presented it to the Admin meeting, where
> Tom, and
> > > I thought Dan Carscallen, supported it, too.  It
> > > looked like reason was going to triumph, but
> somehow,
> > > we now have the same law we've wasted our time
> trying
> > > to change.  Where is our city?
> > >
> > > As someone who has been very involved in this
> process,
> > > I have been learning about other noise
> ordinances, and
> > > have seen how the city has dealt with this
> issue.
> > > Tonight was not the first sign of unprofessional
> city
> > > officials trying to pass a law that apparently
> is an
> > > anomaly, as I have not seen any other noise
> ordinance
> > > with such broad language and an excessive fine.
> And
> > > remember, landlords can be cited if their
> tenants are
> > > cited. Don't we have a new city council all
> concerned
> > > about property rights?  Apparently, those rights
> are
> > > regarded the same as our First Amendment right.
> You
> > > may have to fight for them in court.
> > >
> > > We pay our officials do their job, and if they
> are
> > > providing misinformation and not letting the
> public
> > > question them at their meeting, then they are
> not
> > > being held accountable and are more then likely
> > > going make some bad decisions.  What's wrong
> with

=== message truncated ===