[Vision2020] Moscow's New Noise Ordinance

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Wed Jan 23 09:53:06 PST 2008

Kai,

Your example is not what I am trying to protect, so
that is a red herring.  The NO I was promoting would
target those besotten people you mention.

But, like it or not, the Supreme Court has said music
is free speech.  Since there is no set decibel limit
in our NO, not only music, but people talking in a
"loud, raucous or boisterous" way can get a ticket
even if no one complains.

The SC also said that limiting how much money can be
used for political purposes (campaign finance reform)
limits free speech, so if limiting money is a
violation of our First Amendment, it is only
reasonable to assume that limiting "noise" is also a
violation, particularly since there is defined limit
of how loud "noise" can really be.

So, I would say, we now have a law that potentially
represses our free speech rights, and the city likely
will face a challenge for writing an unconstitutional
law.

I ask you, why do you think it is reasonable to have a
law that allows police to issue a ticket at anytime
for any "noise" an officer deems offensive, even if no
one complains?

Garrett

--- "Kai Eiselein, editor" <editor at lataheagle.com>

http://www.ci.moscow.id.us/cityclerk/2007minutesalt.asp

> [...]
> > weeks ago and asked him if he would recommend what
> > would become Version C.  He thought it was
> reasonable
> > and presented it to the Admin meeting, where Tom,
> and
> > I thought Dan Carscallen, supported it, too.  It
> > looked like reason was going to triumph, but
> somehow,
> > we now have the same law we've wasted our time
> trying
> > to change.  Where is our city?
> >
> > As someone who has been very involved in this
> process,
> > I have been learning about other noise ordinances,
> and
> > have seen how the city has dealt with this issue.
> > Tonight was not the first sign of unprofessional
> city
> > officials trying to pass a law that apparently is
> an
> > anomaly, as I have not seen any other noise
> ordinance
> > with such broad language and an excessive fine.
> And
> > remember, landlords can be cited if their tenants
> are
> > cited. Don't we have a new city council all
> concerned
> > about property rights?  Apparently, those rights
> are
> > regarded the same as our First Amendment right.
> You
> > may have to fight for them in court.
> >
> > We pay our officials do their job, and if they are
> > providing misinformation and not letting the
> public
> > question them at their meeting, then they are not
> > being held accountable and are more then likely to
> > going make some bad decisions.  What's wrong with
> > giving the public the opportunity to comment
> before
> > they vote on a law?
> >
> > The solution?
> >
> > If someone is cited under our new noise ordinance
> > outside of a party house situation, I believe you
> have
> > a strong argument to challenge it in court.
> >
> > The city initially advertised that they needed to
> > modify the NO because of repeat offenders and
> party
> > houses, but in the process passed a law that is
> > unconstitutionally overbroad and vague.  Idaho's
> > Appellate Court has ruled in other noise ordinance
> > challenges that cities cannot pass
> "unconstitutionally
> > overbroad and vague" laws.
> >
> > Since our NO says that any "noise" can be citable
> > without anyone complaining, if you get a ticket
> > without any neighbor complaint outside of a party
> > house situation, then your argument is that you
> have
> > been subject to a law that is overbroad in it's
> means
> > of stopping party houses, the stated problem they
> were
> > trying to solve with the law.
> >
> > Our First Amendment states "Congress shall pass no

=== message truncated ===