[Vision2020] Black History Month

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 11:15:22 PST 2008

Paul,

  Legislation is not the problem. Laws can be ignored.

  What has to change is public opinion. The best way to do that is through public education efforts.

  Best,

  Donovan

Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I think these __________ History Months have arisen
because they are a good way to show that we know and
allegedly care about the problem without having to
actually *do* anything about it.

It would be better if we celebrated ________ History
Month by passing legislation aimed at correcting past
injustices than to simply have a lecture series or
watch a movie about the problem again, or whatever.

Paul

--- deb wrote:

> Great Goddess, I think Donovan may have "got it".
> Indeed, it is a cultural referent to do "history"
> months for under-represented groups. It helps us all
> feel better about inequity if we can clebrate
> difference. The truth is, we (the dominate group of
> white folks who run this country) have "done wrong"
> during the entire history of the US---and we
> continue to do so. Check out the status of women re:
> wages--it has actually fallen in the last ten years.
> Check out the status of African-American health
> services, incarceration rates, and upwardly mobile
> employment rates. Look at the death rates of Latinos
> compared to Caucasians in the 15 to 25 age range.
> Google the number of rapes per capita on Native
> Reservations (along with who commits these crimes).
> And just for stuff and giggles, look at the
> difference in sentencing for equal level crimes
> committed by men and women, Blacks compared to
> Whites, "crack" compared to "coke", white
> supremisists compared to Latino and Black gangs who
> commit crimes.....and the list goes on.....
>
> We have come a long way, but we are now saying the
> problems of race/gender relations don't exist. The
> facts refute that "common knowledge". We are better
> on paper, better legally, better in the laws we
> enact. But as humans, we have not evovled....Do
> Something!!! Get Involved~~~~
>
> Debi R-S
> (sorry about spelling errors, my spell check didn't
> get installed on the new system, and I am just too
> flipping tired to check it myself...tek has spoiled
> me!)

; "Tom
> Hansen" ;
> >
> > Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 7:22 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Black History Month
> >

> > When you get right down to it, you could say
> that this
> > nation was founded on the backs of illegal
> immigrants.
> > Unless the colonists applied for VISAs from
> the
> > natives, they were there illegally. To harp
> about the
> > distinction now seems hypocritical.
> >
> > I'm not a big fan of having these PC "Months",
> mainly
> > because of the reasons stated. Why single out
> one
> > group? It becomes a contest to see which one
> has the
> > most political clout at any one time. I like
> the idea
> > of an "American History Month", one devoted to
> all
> > aspects of American History.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > --- lfalen wrote: