[Vision2020] book recommendations

Debbie Gray graylex at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 22:06:59 PST 2008

Well I haven't bought many new 'albums' this year
(mostly soundtracks and those kinds of things) but I
can suggest a few of my favorite books that I've read
this year...

The world without us / Alan Weisman. (non-fiction)
This is such an enthralling read, the author imagines
the world as it would/will be if/when every single
human disappeared. It's got nuclear waste, global
warming, evolution, underground hotel caves in Turkey,
oil wells and more! He researches and explains what
will happen to every little thing we've made or done
on this earth and how surprisingly fast some things
will disappear and how long other things will continue
to pollute the planet.

Three cups of tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote
Peace...One School At A Time / Greg Mortenson.
(non-fiction) A truly inspiring story about the
tremendous impact one man can have on the lives of so
many others. This book talks about his mission to
build schools in the most remote areas of Pakistan and
Afghanistan. The author is based in Missoula, Montana,
and will be in Moscow April 3 as part of his book tour
(location TBA according to the website:
http://www.threecupsoftea.com/ )

The Lost: The Search for Six of Six Million / Daniel
Mendelsohn. (non-fiction) The author sets out to track
down his great uncle and family who were lost during
the Holocaust. From bits and fragments of information
he persistently investigates what happened to them,
interviews survivors and is entrusted with many of
their stories as well. Fascinating story (but quite
long at over 500 pages)

Piano Tuner / Daniel Mason. (Fiction) Bit of a review
from amazon.com "...the mesmerizing story of Edgar
Drake, commissioned by the British War Office in 1886
to travel to hostile Burma to repair a rare Erard
grand piano vital to the Crown's strategic interests.
Eccentric Surgeon-Major Anthony Carroll has brokered
peace with local warlords primarily through music, a
free medical clinic, and the "powers" of common
scientific instruments, much to the dismay of
warmongering officers suspect of such unorthodox
methods. Drake is an introspective, well-mannered soul
who, once there, falls in love with Burma and stays
long past the piano-fixing to aid Carroll's political
agenda."

Anyone else want to share some great reading
suggestions?