[Vision2020] Support for veterans

Dave tiedye at turbonet.com
Sun Feb 17 18:46:04 PST 2008

Hi Matt, yes I hope we can find common ground.  Sorry it took me so long
to reply I had to move a radio station (again).

I did not mean to imply that our solders "bring on their own
suffering".  I am trying to say that they suffer such debilitating
images of the horrific events they witnessed because of the internal
guilt of knowing that they participated in creating those events in the
first place.  (I still didn't say that very well, but I'm at a loss of
how to say it better right now)

Whether you are pointing a gun, treating the injured, hauling supplies,
or even staying home and paying taxes, you are still participating in
the atrocities.

I hold no fault to the solders, I see them as victims of the same evil
forces.  And I NEVER meant to imply that they should not receive help
(as JF seems to think).  Conversely, I would advocate for the best
mental (and physical) health care that we could offer, for the rest of
their lives.  (Of course I would advocate that for everyone)

It starts long before they join the military or go to kill people, it
starts with the mistaken concept that patriotism is a "good thing".
This strange concept is drummed into our brains from birth.

The best words I've ever heard challenging patriotism were by Emma Goldman.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz-0Shljq88

-
And for the record, and to answer a few of the other responses.  Yes I'm
a veteran, I served in the Navy for six years in the 80's, I climbed to
an E6.  I never saw any kind of action while serving (I've never seen
anything horrific in my live, except in pictures).  When I enlisted I
vowed to myself that if a Vietnam type situation developed while I was
on active duty that I would not participate, one way or another.

I base my opinion about the guilt thing mostly from some interviews with
Vietnam vets that I've heard on progressive radio.  You won't hear that
sort of interview on the mainstream media who make a HUGE PROFIT from wars.

Regarding my definition a "human": I do not believe that if you train
some hairless ape to wear clothes, take a shower, drive to work, and
turn on the brainwashing device, that said creature is necessarily a
"human".  I haven't since I read the Gom Jabber scene in the book Dune
back in '74.   I do not know exactly where I draw the line or if it's
even a line, but I heard a psychologist once say that a full one quarter
of our population simply lacks the trait of empathy, it might be
somewhere around there.  Lately I've been referring to a segment of our
population as Ferengi (from Star Trek) since they seem to care more
about profit then anything else.

Ted, I'll answer your question about what is a "just" or legal war
later.  But here's a clue to part of it: who has the power to make war
in our country?

Dave

--
Windows, OSX, or Linux is the same choice as:
McDonalds, Burger King, or a (real) Co-Op.