[Vision2020] litigation/ was (no subject)

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Fri Feb 15 17:08:59 PST 2008

I think that the term "litigation" has caused
confusion from several fronts.

The definition from dictionary.com:

litigation-- a lawsuit {a case in a court of law
involving a claim, complaint, etc., by one party
against another; suit at law.}

>From what I know, we hadn't gone to court over this.
We were waiting to have a hearing with PCHB  There was
potential for litigation, but I don't think we were
officially litigating.

Also, according to the "agreement":

"WHEREAS, Hawkins and the City wish to avoid
litigation and to resolve the above appeals through
this Settlement Agreement."

To me this implies we weren't in litigation yet.  If
so, this statement should have said "Hawkins and the
City wish to avoid continuing litigation..."

>From the councils rhetoric, they made it sound like we
were on the verge of spending "hundreds of thousands"
of $$$.

In reality, we may have had a favorable ruling from
the PCHB, thus would have had more bargaining power
with Hawkins.

Instead, the council rushed to pass this agreement
without taking the necessary time to think about the
consequences of committing to it.

Considering that 3 council members just started
serving a few weeks before voting on this, they jump
the gun.  They should have taken a more measured
approach and not let Hawkins swindle our city.