[Vision2020] Fines Possible

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 17:11:25 PST 2008

Thought this might be of some interest to the Idaho Legislature....may want to take a hint and consider the same thing?  Would be great to hear back from any or our representatives about it.

OLYMPIA, Wash.- Richland
Representative Larry Haler's bill pushing for dramatically higher fines
for municipalities who break open meetings laws is gaining momentum in
the state legislature.    The bill raising the minimum fine for
breaking open meetings laws is through the House and now in Senate
committee where Haler says he expects the same support it got in the
House, where the bill passed 77 to 19.   "It looks like we'll
get it through the senate and hopefully it'll be on the governor's desk
before the end of the session and signed into law," Rep. Haler said.  The
proposal would raise the fine for cities or counties violating
constitutional open meetings laws from $100 to a minimum of $250, with
a $1000 cap for repeat offenders.

J  :]