[Vision2020] Hawkins Water & Sewer Agreement

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 18:59:12 PST 2008

Chas et. al.

I do not know for sure whether the deal with Hawkins and the city of Moscow
is the best option in the long term for the economy of Moscow, or whether
"special interests" were served at the expense of Moscow taxpayers and
businesses.  However, that the issues of CO2 related climate change, fossil
fuel depletion, and sustainability, do not appear to have been substantively
addressed, is irresponsible, in my opinion, and in the long run may have
deleterious economic impacts. The economic issues probably can't be answered
with certainty given the uncertainty of what will happen to the US economy
and world oil supplies and markets in 10, 20, 30m years out, not to mention
accelerating climate change and pending regulations effecting CO2 emissions
for cars, trucks, and electricity generation.

The issue I posed is whether or not public business impacting taxpayers
should be conducted in secret by elected officials.  This issue is still a
concern even if the Moscow City Council's deal with Hawkins is in the best
interest of the city of Moscow  Yes, this question has been posed over and
over, and some on this list are working on parsing through the details.

Some will argue that in principle it is unethical for the public's business
to be conducted in secret (well, except national security issues, not
relevant here) no matter how well intentioned or what positive impacts
result.  It sets a precedent that gives cover for future corruption and
cronyism,  Is this not why Idaho has an open meeting law, in theory
governing such conduct?

How can we have an informed opinion of what occurred at the meetings with
Hawkins when the details are secret?

We could make a parallel, perhaps, with VP Cheney's secret meetings with the
CEOs of major energy corporations, and the suit brought to force Cheney to
reveal the details of these meetings.  This was fought all the way to the
SCOTUS, and the result was the US Supreme Court did not force the release of
Cheney's energy task force papers:

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/02/22/enron.gao.lawsuit/

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/jun2004/chen-j29.shtml

Yes, your mileage may vary!