[Vision2020] city emails and the water thing

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Wed Feb 13 10:11:01 PST 2008

Vizzz Peeps

I've not been perusing the Vizzz of late, but I see a lot of questions
have been asked regarding the settlement agreement with Hawkins.  I've
replied to those who I have received an email from in my city email,
plus a couple others to my private emails.

I think people may not have gotten a response lately because none of
those V2020 emails that have the city email addresses copied in have
made it into my city inbox.  I don't know if there's some sort of spam
filter or what, but maybe sending a seperate email to the city council
email link on the city's website, then the same to the 2020 would be a
good idea to make sure it's received.

And since I'm here, I'll share my reasoning for why I voted the way I
did (as I've shared with some who have asked):

1.  I felt that protracted litigation would have cost hundreds of
thousands of dollars.  I would much rather spend that money on paving
our gravel streets, building sidewalks, and possibly even investing in
the affordable housing fund that was brought forward by Rick Beebe,
plus some plans our Affordable Housing Commission is going to bring
forward in the future.

2.  We are going to be able to charge a premium rate for the water.  If
Hawkins chooses to buy sewer service, we can charge a premium rate for
it as well.  When treated effluent becomes available, we can charge for
it as well (the University of Idaho currently uses it for free).  It is
my hope that we can take that which we make off of the development and
put it into a fund to facilitate the exploration of alternative sources
of water.

3.  In talking with Walter Steed, he said that Steve Robischon from PBAC
says that we will see a net *decrease* in water drawn from the aquifer
if we have municipal control over it rather than letting Hawkins drill
their wells as they wish.

4.  I did see this development as an inevitability, since the Whitman
County Commissioners are doing all they can to make this happen.  I
would much rather see us sell the water to Hawkins, have the control
over it, and get paid for it instead of the City of Pullman piping water
all the way through the corridor, thereby increasing the chance of
further development through there, or allowing Hawkins to drill a well
and have no commitment from them regarding conservation.  This will at
least slow things down a bit.

5.  Regarding the "secrecy of the deal":  We were playing the cards we
were dealt.  The mayor and our attorney did a good job of selling us the
idea of mediation, so we entered into it trying to get the best we could
for the city.  I commend the mayor and councilmen Krauss and Steed for
their efforts.

6.  I know some people out there that levy the charge that big box
stores will harm local businesses.  What I see in Moscow that's
different is that we have an eclectic mix of small retailers that I
don't believe will be hurt by big box stores.  I am not going to go to
Wal Mart to get the things I would get at Hyperspud, for example.  The
same thing goes for Marco Polo Imports, Paradise Creek Bicycles, or even
the Camas Prairie Winery.  I also believe, after hearing from
Tri-State's Gerard Connelley during the recent "Buy Local" forum, that
some new businesses will bring customers from other areas to shop at our
existing businesses.  Gerard even said that his best day was the day Wal
Mart opened, and that he hasn't had a down month since they did.

7.  I know item 7 is a "hard pill to swallow", but there is always give
and take in mediation.  We *do* have the right to protest things that
may be a nuisance (stinky effluent ponds, for example) or public safety
issues.

I hope this answers some questions by those that have had them.  I know
there won't be a lot of agreement as to what has been done, but
understand that I am doing what I think is best for Moscow.  Obviously,
there are different opinions out there.

I'll gladly answer more if you have them.  But please use the
dcarscallen at ci.moscow.id.us email so it doesn't get lost in the V2020
shuffle.

Thanks for your concerns.

Dan Carscallen