[Vision2020] (no subject)

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 14 15:12:45 PST 2008

Thanks, Sue, for commenting.

I have been mulling over the Open Meeting Law specifics, spirit, and intent
for many days now, and I think perhaps this might be the right time to toss
out some thoughts.

With respect to (e), I just don't see how that can apply:  the facts as I
see them is that there was no competition, real or imagined, with other
governing bodies because no other governing body was willing or able to
provide water (or sewer) service to Hawkins.

Reliance on (e), therefore, seems to me to fail to meet either the spirit or
the intent of a valid exception to Open Meeting Law.

I find any reliance on (f) to be equally unsupportable, especially with
respect to sewer services.  The City of Moscow's appeal of the transfer of
water rights to Hawkins had nothing whatsoever to do with sewer services, so
clearly any discussion of sewer services fails to meet the "pending
litigation" exception.

Was Hawkins "imminently likely" to sue the City of Moscow for sewer
service???  I haven't been able to find anything in the public record I've
been able to find indicating that - has anyone else?

It seems to me any such lawsuit would be laughable because as an
out-of-state business venture, Hawkins has no right to our sewer services.
And, quite frankly, if Hawkins were to sue the City for sewer service, I can
think of no better time for the City to stand up and defend the municipal
services paid for by Moscow taxpayers from being raided by a developer which
freely chose to purchase land in another state.

Now that some time has passed, I've been hoping for some explanation from
the City that might clarify the things.  While I don't like it one bit, it
seems to me a reasonable (if objectionable) case may be able to be made for
the confidential water negotiations.  I am, however, unable to see how any
case can be made for violating Open Meeting Law by secretly negotiating for
sewer services.  But, I'm no lawyer, so perhaps there's something obvious
I'm missing.

Perhaps an explanation from our elected officials is still forthcoming.  I
hope so.

In the meantime, Mr. Harkins, since you seem to think both (e) and (f)
justify exceptions to the Open Meeting Law with respect to the Hawkins
settlement agreement, perhaps you'd care to share how you envision the sewer
services negotiations as meeting the exception criteria.

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2008 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****