[Vision2020] (no subject)

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Thu Feb 14 20:12:21 PST 2008

Hi Saundra,

I drop down to the point you brought me in to the post.

>In the meantime, Mr. Harkins, since you seem to think both (e) and
>(f) justify exceptions to the Open Meeting Law with respect to the
>Hawkins settlement agreement, perhaps you'd care to share how you
>envision the sewer services negotiations as meeting the exception criteria.

While somewhat technical, I am going to respond according to the
applicable professional standards for this issue. The sewer division
of the water and sewer services provided by the city of Moscow are
operated as and accounted for as an Enterprise Fund.  Under
Governmental Accounting Standards Board [GASB] protocols, proprietary
funds are used "... to account for governmental activities that are
similar to activities that may be performed by a commercial
enterprise.  For example, a hospital may be operated by a
governmental unit, such as a city, or by a profit-oriented
corporation.  The accounting and reporting standards used by a
proprietary fund and a business enterprise are similar because the
activities performed are basically the same." [GAAP Guide, 2003, Sec 25.02]

Moscow City currently serves the sewer needs of Moscow as a
monopoly.  It might be interesting if Whitman County decided to get
competitive with Moscow by constructing their own sewer treatment
facility.  Not all that much of a reach - if we fail to meet EPA
standards (and as I am told, we are operating on an extension of
standards), it is conceivable that Whitman could build a state of the
art facility and offer that facility to Moscow.  I know if I were
working with the economic planners on the west side of our border, I
would certainly advise them to do a business plan.  If they can treat
sewage better than we can, we might be forced to up our investment to
meet standards or buy from them.  The protocol reached by the Moscow
City Council seems to have diverted that pressure - at least in the
near term.

Furthermore, it makes more sense (and cents) to me to cooperate and
collaborate with Whitman County to share in developing appropriate
waste treatment.  The dollars on both sides of the border would go
farther and we would get better waste treatment for all.  It seems
that the protocol moves us in that direction.