[Vision2020] Advanced Real Estate Question

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 11 21:04:05 PST 2008

On Monday 11 February 2008 15:41, Chasuk wrote:

> So, at what point would this become absurd?

First, I ask that you read my response to Darrell Keim's message to this
list. I don't believe that workable solutions to these development concerns
are beyond the limits of rationality, existentialist or otherwise.

> How much of Washington
> state would have to be subsumed into Idaho under these arguably moral
> principles before Washingtonians objected?

I suspect there exist Washingtonians who would object to subsumption of any
of Washington into Idaho, with or without moral principles involved.

> When the Washington-Idaho border was outside Olympia?

The Washington-Idaho border now is outside Olympia -- far outside it --
quite possibly to the satisfaction of many Washingtonians. For another
related answer, see my reply to Darrell Keim.

> And why would Idaho necessarily be the encroacher?

It appears in the current situation Idaho is the encroachee, rather than the
encroacher.

> Couldn't Washingtonians object that they were being denied their right to
> profitably engage in free enterprise by anti-capitalist Idahoans,

Such objections would be without without equitable merit. Free enterprise is
as much a Washingtonian privilege as an Idahoan privilege, and there is
plenty of enthusiasm on both sides of the border for productivity and
profits. However, profitable productivity is not the equitable product of
taking advantage of others. Idahoans are not anti-capitalist when we stand
and demand not only procedural propriety in our own decision-making, but
also equitable resource allocation and compensation among parties.

> and subsume us, possibly all the way to Boise?

Any proposed land swap that would deliver a delegation to the District of
Columbia composed of members of the political party out of power would be a
dead-on-arrival proposal.

> I suggest either that we merge with Washington state (which, for me,
> would be splendid, as it would hugely increase the number of Democrats
> in my state),

Dream on. Well, OK, draw a west to east line representing a north-south
border at the 45th North Latitude, then attach everything north of the 45th
to Washington. They get rapidly growing Coeur d'Alene, lots of recreation
and wilderness lands, and another university for overflow expansion. We get
to retain a state capital far away, just westward instead of southward. And
we still might not get the major newspaper of the state delivered locally.
However, some of the legislators might be more interesting, and conceivably
we might get our north-south goat trail converted into an actual highway.

> or that the feds pass a law outlawing business along state borders,

I think you'll have some constitutional commerce clause problems there ...

> which would likely hamper the trade in smuggled cigarettes and force the
> closure of many strip clubs.  Of course, they would have to grandfather
> in existing businesses, but I don't see a problem, otherwise, except for
> the problem of suddenly impoverished smugglers, and dispossessed
> strippers.

Reservations aren't required for tables to discuss interesting local people.

Ken