[Vision2020] Advanced Real Estate Question

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 15:41:09 PST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 3:00 PM, Kenneth Marcy <kmmos1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Why would Washington state want to do that? Because it is the right thing,
> the moral thing to do to avoid Latah county and Moscow city residents being
> forced, de facto, to subsidize development over which they have inadequate
> legal control. If the State of Washington wants some sort of monetary
> adjustment for its right of domain of statehood over the parcel, I think
> that value can be assessed and agreed upon by the parties, i.e., the
> states, in consultation with the local entities.

So, at what point would this become absurd?  How much of Washington
state would have to be subsumed into Idaho under these arguably moral
principles before Washingtonians objected?  When the Washington-Idaho
border was outside Olympia?  And why would Idaho necessarily be the
encroacher?  Couldn't Washingtonians object that they were being
denied their right to profitably engage in free enterprise by
anti-capitalist Idahoans, and subsume us,  possibly all the way to
Boise?

I suggest either that we merge with Washington state (which, for me,
would be splendid, as it would hugely increase the number of Democrats
in my state), or that the feds pass a law outlawing business along
state borders, which would likely hamper the trade in smuggled
cigarettes and force the closure of many strip clubs.  Of course, they
would have to grandfather in existing businesses, but I don't see a
problem, otherwise, except for the problem of suddenly impoverished
smugglers, and dispossessed strippers.