[Vision2020] Advanced Real Estate Question

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 22:08:22 PST 2008

Thank you, Ken, for taking the time to answer my objections, even
though many of them were tongue-in-cheek.  If everyone responded as
cogently, we might actually see something akin to progress here.
Alas, I include myself as a dubious exemplar of this shortcoming.

I've known Wayne Krauss for years, and he seems an intelligent, solid
citizen.  He is certainly an asset to our community.  If he tells me
that, after due consideration of all available options, it was better
to accommodate Hawkins, then I believe him.  After all, I did vote for
him to make informed decisions on my behalf.  I haven't read anything
here that would convince me that Wayne didn't perform his duty
honorably and wisely.

I'm divided about the Hawkins development.  On the one hand, I'm
perfectly content with the size of Moscow, despite my occasional
carping about the sparsity of restaurants offering diverse ethnic
cuisines.  I will never shop at Lowes.  However, I am not Mr.
EveryMoscovite (or even Ms. or Mrs. EveryMoscovite).  I'm sure that I
sometimes bump elbows with  fellow citizens who are drooling with
giddy joy at the prospect of prostrating themselves at the shrine of
home improvement goodness that is Lowes.

If the new mall were an international food court, I would be clamoring
for it, but it's not, so I'm not.  Although I am a self-confessed
hypocrite,  I try to curtail it in myself when I see it (and when it
doesn't cost too much).  Therefore, I say, bring on Lowes!  It doesn't
seem in the cards that our own City will attract Lowes or other major
business (eqivalent or otherwise), so it seem sour grapes to begrudge
Whitman entrepreneurs.

Chas